RootBridges?

I had a 800 today on the test but the switching still tears me up a bit. they show a picture of 4 switches in a diamond pattern. One is close to the router etc. Some times they will even show one of the ports shut down due to spanning tree. Thing is, the switches are listed as sw1 , sw2 etc. you can pull up a console on only one of the switches. How can you show which one is the root bridge? There does not seem to be a link between the ports, mac addresses and the name sw1. I am guessing I am missing something?

Reply to
philip
Loading thread data ...

per definition, all root bridge interfaces are considered designated ports, meaning they're forwarding.

any more details on that picture?

sven

philip wrote:

Reply to
Sven Juergensen

on second thought, i assume they're getting at something like this:

C3548-2014.102#show spanning-tree

Spanning tree 1 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol Bridge Identifier has priority 1, address 0007.8502.af80 Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15 Current root has priority 0, address 0007.8502.a600 Root port is 67, cost of root path is 6008 Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set, changes 94 Times: hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2 hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15 Timers: hello 0, topology change 0, notification 0 Fast uplink switchover is enabled

check line four of the output.

hth,

sven

philip wrote:

Reply to
Sven Juergensen

On a 2950 you would use:

show spanning-tree detail

the root bridge is the switch with the lowst bridge id made up of the bridge priority and mac address

Reply to
corb

if it assumed that all switch are factory-default, then they all have same priority (32,768). therefore, the root bridge will be the one with the lowest mac address.

Reply to
vanilla

Well all while I may not be a seasonded admin I have passed my CCNA with an

875. I also while in a boson lab i had created found out how this has to be done for the test. You do not have access to the show spanning-tree detail or root but you can use sh cdp neighbors

sh spanning tree show the root bridge id (mac address) and gives the port. If your not on the root bridge. do a sh cdp neighbors and it shows the port and what the switch name it attaches to. Also there was a nice sim on seting up ospf on a new router installed. They tell you that the physical set up and ip numbering is ok. and you have to go in and fix it. The routing tables do not show ospf routes. The area of the serial interface is wrong. Funny thing is that i have taken the test several times and it always looks the same but they change the subtle things. Thanks to you all for your help.

Reply to
philip

in the sim i had to fix the ospf setup, not only was the area wrong but so was the network (off by 1, they used the first ip in the network) aswell as the wildcard mask was wrong (.4 instead of .3). something easly overlooked if you only noticed the obvious area misconfiguration.

philip wrote:

Reply to
Blah

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.