Re: CCNA Home Lab Hardware advice.

Hey man, you dont have to buy hardware, just get the CCNA Simulator, its almost the same, on the sim you can deploy unlimited routers/switches and PC's, I used that, and it helped me a lot.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 9 Web @

formatting link
----- ---- -- -

Reply to
ajiez
Loading thread data ...

I like the idea of learning on true equipment, not a PC based simulator..!!

I feel I will learn more this way ! Thanks

Reply to
jerryyang_la1

this link is a simulator but I recommendation try this...

formatting link

Reply to
Eotret

Try the simulaor its good to start with .. and once u use it you can play with it accordingto your creativity..i used the simulator in CCNP Switching as well

Rgds..CK

Reply to
CK

I agree with both ideas for these reasons:

Simulator: The simulator will be MUCH cheaper than several of today's current model Cisco network devices. The simulators will allow time and experience working in the interactive Ciscio IOS command line interface (CLI). Just about anything topic needed for a Cisco CCNA should be included in a decent simulator software. Please note that simulators do not have full functionality and you may very likely experiment with commands that will result in some pre-written simulator message stating that the simulator does not support this command or feature.

Real Hardware: Learning the IOS commands for configuration is one thing. Initially configuring a device and performing alternate booting is another. Some people also just feel more comfortable having total access to the device so that there is not anything happening that they cannot be aware of. Link light behaviour, console boot-up message display, and knowing the hardware itself are some of the main reasons. With the actual device you can boot into ROMMON mode and practice recovering a password or even x-modem loading an IOS image when the current image is corrupt. There will be no mystery behind what a device does prior to when a simulator provides you with a booted device. You can see what a link light does on a shutdown interface. There are many comforting reasons.

I suggest buying a very common and retired Cisco 2500 series router real cheap. Do not spend a lot on it, realisticly only $10-20 if possible for an ethernet based 2500 series router with the AUI to RJ-45 adapter. If you are up to it, get 2 of them and connect their serial ports. Not much more than that is needed at all. Play around with it and get to know its flash memory and how to work on the console. When you get familiar with the idea of what you are working in, let the simulators provide the idea of multiple routers in an environment through their software. You will hopefully only be spending around $50 for the real equipment and anywhere between $0-100 for the simulator software. It makes you really learn the Cisco product models when you work with them in person.

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.