rant: BCRAN obsolete async stuff

Cisco BCRAN chap4: Configuring Async Connections with Modems

OMFG, who the hell deal with a bunch of async modems any more? Didn't we turn year 2000 like 6 years ago?

Every Dick and Harriet use VPN these days... and this chapter has the gall, within the same page tells me "A CCNP or CCDP candidate should commit the line commands to memory, not just for the test, but for success in the field." Memorizing these arcane, out-of-date configuration stuff, I DUNN THINK SO BUBBA. I'd do it to pass the exam and that's about it.

I am sure some of u are gonna give me an example. Like u work for this post office outside of Iowa with 600 resident and have this old modem bank... well I have no plan to move to Iowa!

Reply to
bobb
Loading thread data ...

I agree with your sentiments - perhaps this is part of the reason "BCRAN" is being retired.

Reply to
John Agosta

it is a world wide exam.

Just because your bit of the US? doesnt use modems much doesnt mean that is true everywhere.

i work in the UK - tmy company still operates 10s of 1000s of modems (although to be fair not many of them are cisco) since a big chunk of the UK doesnt get broadband and / or broadband is only 60%+ of households.

The UK /Europe population density is high compared to the US broadband take up is higher than most of Europe, but modems are still out there...

The old joke is you couldnt make the world in 7 days if there was an installed base....

Reply to
stephen

When is it being retired ?

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

Commit to memory? I only remember commands that I use every day. I always resort to my notes to refresh my memory when configuring items that come up infrequently i.e. routing protocols, qos sets, etc.

Reply to
ITBob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.