Questions for the CCNA kiddies...

If you are looking for practice questions for the CCNA here are a few I wrote just now... some of them are probably deeply flawed, others probably way beyond the CCNA level... still others probably have nothing to do with networking...

ONE: I have the following /24 network:

I want to set up one subnet with 57 hosts on it, eight subnets with 2 hosts and 10 subnets with 9 hosts on them.

What are the masks and network addresses for each subnet.

TWO: Match services with their TCP ports: HTTP 20 HTTPS 25 Telnet 443 SMTP 119 NTP 23 POP 21 NNTP 53 FTP 80 FTP-Data 110 DNS 123

(bonus: which one of the above shouldn't be in that list)

THREE: Match the following lists: Physical segments Data-Link packets Network user data Transport frames Application bits

FOUR:

What are the MSBs that indicate which class a network address belongs?

00 E 01 C 10 A 11 B 111 D

FIVE: MAC addresses are to DLCIs as IP addresses are to: ATM addresses IPX addresses NSAP addresses ARP IPv6 Addresses (pick all that apply)

SIX: (speed round) Which OSI layer do each of the following reside: Frame-Relay Ethernet IP Layer 3 Switch ATM ISDN TCP JPEG NIC FTP NetBIOS TFTP An AUI to RJ-45 Transceiver DNS DIVX RPC CSU/DSU Cat5 cabling E-Mail NTP ARP UDP Managed Hub ICMP GBIC Hubs Switches Routers Internet Explorer

SEVEN: When you type SHOW ISDN STATUS, what phrase are you looking for to indicate you have good layer 2 communications with the ISDN switch? Layer 1 Active ESTABLISHED await_establishment terminal_down TEI_ASSIGNED MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED spid1 valid & spid2 valid

EIGHT: What is the usable range for administratively scoped multicast addresses: Which one is all multicast addresses?

33.0.0.1 to 39.0.0.255 240.0.0.1 to 255.255.255.254 224.0.0.1 to 239.255.255.255 239.0.0.1 to 239.255.255.255

NINE: Which of the following RIPv2 features did not exist in RIPv1 Update to multicast address Classless Broadcast updates Neighbor Command Classful Hop Count of 16 is infinity

TEN: Massive Bonus: Given two routers.

A -- (FR Cloud) --- B

Router A has the following on a PVC to router B

INACTIVE

Router B has the following on a PVC to router A

DELETED

Where might the problem be on the network? The F/R Cloud (but not edge switches) The F/R Cloud including edge switches. F/R Edge Switch on the A side misconfigured or down F/R Edge Switch on the B side misconfigured or down The local loop on the A side The local loop on the B side Configuration on the A side Configuration on the B side (Pick four)

ELEVEN: Are you a cat or a dog person? Cat Dog Hamster

TWELVE: Is $1600 too much to pay for a T1-WIC card? YES NO, I own stock in Cisco.

THIRTEEN: The following command under 'line con 0', 'NO LOGIN' has what effect? No one will be able to login. No password is required, and people will automatically be put into enable mode.

FOURTEEN: The following two commands are entered into a router: Enable password cisco Enable secret &341298HJKHSA3~! Which password will be used to log you into enable mode? Cisco cisco &341298HJKHSA3~! No clue. no password will be required as the two commands cancel each other out.

FIFTEEN: If you have no internet connectivity when you first hook up your router, whose fault is it, and who do you call first? Your Telco, because everything is the telco's fault (if you have Verizon, you are probably right (NOTE: I don't work for Verizon)). Your IT person, because the router is probably misconfigured. TAC. Who cares, it is supposed to work, so it should be working, you call everyone! DLCIs matter? But I thought they were supposed to always be 16... What do you mean I can't run an arc welder next to my SmartJack? Seriously, it is always the telco's fault, because they are evil.

SIXTEEN: Which configuration prompt will you need to be in to apply an ACL the VTY (or CON) port? C2610(config-line)# C2610(config)# C2610(config-if)# C2610(config-ext-nacl)#

SEVENTEEN: Match the command with what it does: copy tftp run Copies running-config to a TFTP server copy tftp flash Copies IOS from a TFTP server copy flash tftp Copies startup-config to a running-config copy run star Copies running-config from a TFTP server copy star run Copies the IOS on flash to a TFTP server copy star tftp Copies running-config to startup-config

EIGHTEEN: Which of the following commands is the same as 'copy running-config startup-config'? Write Mem Copy Run Star C R S

A real quick note.

The Cisco certifications are driven by the Cisco TAC (Technical Assistance Center)... when the managers at TAC see a massive influx of calls for a specific issue, that issue goes right to the exams.

You want to know why you see so much ISDN on these tests? Because TAC gets a crap-load of calls for ISDN (I used to think it was because Cisco got a massive payment for every ISDN ckt sold...)

The CCIE lab is a little different, where Cisco instead is aiming their sights at introducing new technologies... (which is why Dialer Watch was so psychotically big last year on the lab)... But for the CCNP and CCNA exams, the goal is to prevent as many TAC calls as possible... The thinking being if the CCNAs can handle the minor grunt crap, TAC won't have to.

Hey, anyone else notice that TAC (not the initial screeners, but the guy who calls you back) is not particularly well versed in the English language? (I went from opening one TAC case a month to opening 30 a week... you would be amazed at some of the bizarro error messages people get... and those modemcaps are just bizarre to wade through)...

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Larry Jones

Actually, DNS uses both. (IIRC, Later versions of) BIND can use port

53/TCP for zone transfers, etc. However, 99.99% of your queries will be using port 53/UDP since that is the way the system was designed to run originally. I'm not sure how Microsoft implements/doesn't implement port 53/TCP for its DNS.

Reference: RFC 2181, Sec 4.2

formatting link
Quote: "4.2. Port Number Selection Replies to all queries must be directed to the port from which they were sent. When queries are received via TCP this is an inherent part of the transport protocol. For queries received by UDP the server must take note of the source port and use that as the destination port in the response. Replies should always be sent from the port to which they were directed. Except in extraordinary circumstances, this will be the well known port assigned for DNS queries [RFC1700]."

Chris G.

Larry J> isn't DNS UDP not TCP?

Reply to
Chris G.

In almost all cases yes. But systems can use tcp for DNS lookups. DNS lookups associated with LDAP for example may use tcp. Zone transfers may use tcp. etc.etc.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.