Problems using the extended ping command

When I try to use the extended ping command and specify a source IP address I am receiving an 'invalid source' error. I have tried many different combinations but with no joy, it does, however, work if I specify an iterface (such as serial 0). I've also tried this on my 2611 router with the same results, even if I type '?' at the 'source address' prompt I still receive an eror message - does anyone have any ideas?

TIA, Jase

EAGLE2#ping Protocol [ip]: Target IP address: 192.168.1.2 Repeat count [5]: Datagram size [100]: Timeout in seconds [2]: Extended commands [n]: y Source address or interface: 192.168.3.2 % Invalid source Source address or interface: 10.0.0.1 % Invalid source Source address or interface: serial 0 Type of service [0]: Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

EAGLE2 uptime is 24 minutes System restarted by reload System image file is "flash:c2500-d-l_120-11.bin"

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision L) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 06110204, with hardware revision 00000000 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0. Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.

1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface(s) 2 Serial network interface(s) 1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Can you do a sh ip int brief and post the results?

Reply to
Scooty

The source address you specify must be configured on an interface on the router and be in an UP/UP state. You can't just pick one at random, otherwise how does the router get the replies?

Reply to
Thrill5

"Thrill5" wrote in news:- radnVkw0q_MzhnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The source address I'm using is on another router which can't ping the destination address, I'm troubleshooting the problem & running the extended ping from this router as if the ping had originated on the other. Both routers in question can ping each other fine, this seems similar to examples I've seen on Cisco's site regarding the extended ping command.

Jase

Reply to
Jason

Similar, but differing in one small regard: you're setting the source address to be that of a different router, and it won't work.

Reply to
alexd

alexd wrote in news:478492cf$0$513$bed64819 @news.gradwell.net:

Thanks for clearing that up, I'd made some incorrect assumptions.

Reply to
Jason

This option in extended ping is NOT for spoofing, it's just there to let you select which of the router's addresses to use. By default it uses the address of the outgoing interface. But if you have a router connecting nets A and B, and you want to test whether machines on net A (or beyond) can reach net B, you can use this option to specify the router's net B address while pinging.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.