Problems connecting 2500 to 4000 for CCNA labs

Greetings!

Yet, another Cisco problem however I'm sure most of you are more advanced then me..

I have a 2500 and 4000 series routers that I'm trying to directly connect. The cable between them is a db60 male (2500) to a db50 male (4000) and plug directly into the serial ports provided by both routers. When I try to bring the interface up it doesn't stay up for very long. The status is up however the protocol is down on both sides. I have tried two different clock rates of 56000 and 64000 to no avail. The cable between them is brand new and as far as I know the routers are fine. Due to my inexperience with Cisco configurations I am guessing that there is something that I am not doing correctly on my end.

ip address 4.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 clock rate 64000 no shutdown exit

ctrl-z router rip network 4.0.0.0 exit

ctrl-z copy run start

Is there anything else I should consider with trying to connect these two routers? I have tried the other serial interfaces with no luck. Like I said the status will come up fine. The line protocol will come up only briefly and shutdown. My experience is NIL as I am trying to set up this home network to work towards my CCNA. I would really appreciate any advice or help that any of you can offer.

-------------------------------------

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

alt.certification.cisco - 5038 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
soma56
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.