please help to give me some comment (after I get CCNA what shall i tried?)

I started my first IT job as a support in linux server for about 7 months so far. I really would like to move to networking. So I went through a training in ICND and now i am preparing on CCNA. But i am not sure with my limited experience of IT (I did have a lousy postgraduate degree in business info system) and i only have litmited skills in IPtables, postifx and squid proxy with very little knowledge of MS server.

I really want to go for networking job or change to bigger company so i can learn abit more.Can anyone give me some advice of where my next step should be? I don't mind to start with help desk as long as i can learn more about networking.

By the way i am in Australia (Melbourne).

thank in advance

Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

I actually started of as a help desk. Didn't actually lead me to networking field, since you will be concentrating on end user's requirements.

My advice to you is concentrate on networking if you are really into it. Try to find projects which will involve you in the networking field. It is a good idea to continue your studies in Cisco certifications.

If you are going to work for Service Providers, you might want to go for CCIP. If you are going to work for companies with large networks, CCNP might be a good target. When you decide to go for TelCo(s) CCVP probably would be more appreciated there.

Just to hellp you along the way, there are actually lots of good books that can help you learn more. Ciscopress self study is good. Or you can get your hands on some of sybex books.

I actually quit my job and work as freelance for some networking companies just to give me the chance on networking and have an established reputation on it. You might consider asking your boss to be transfered to networking department rather than going to helpdesk if I may suggest.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
technodewa

I actually started of as a help desk. Didn't actually lead me to networking field, since you will be concentrating on end user's requirements.

My advice to you is concentrate on networking if you are really into it. Try to find projects which will involve you in the networking field. It is a good idea to continue your studies in Cisco certifications.

If you are going to work for Service Providers, you might want to go for CCIP. If you are going to work for companies with large networks, CCNP might be a good target. When you decide to go for TelCo(s) CCVP probably would be more appreciated there.

Just to hellp you along the way, there are actually lots of good books that can help you learn more. Ciscopress self study is good. Or you can get your hands on some of sybex books.

I actually quit my job and work as freelance for some networking companies just to give me the chance on networking and have an established reputation on it. You might consider asking your boss to be transfered to networking department rather than going to helpdesk if I may suggest.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
technodewa

Hmm, its rather a small company and there isn't a place for me to play around cisco network. Thats why i go for CCNA to get myself a starting point.

I am interested on the freelance you mention. But how do I start if I doesn't have much networking experience? I mean how do you get your first project and how you achieve it if you not having much of experience with router and switch at enterprise level? I have no idea how the freelancer work, but i know a couple of them and they seems to be at guru level runing their own business just to get easy cash ..:P

Finally is there any company looks for CCVP? I know its kinda hot esp for company with branches and separate with some distance. But I look up the ccvp syllibus and it seems quite different to ccnp. I wonder if i just go CCVP will i miss something fundamental on my way to be a network engineer? (CCNA does cover little of router and switch but i think its way too little..)

Reply to
Chris

well, i kinda started things by accident.

i overheard of people discussing about problems in their company's network and steped into the discussion. At the end of the conversation, i offered them with some help if they need any consultation through my email.

at that point, i wasn't even thinking about selling my skill. as they contact me through some emails, they started offering projects. if you didn't know how to start, try to discuss things related to networks with your colleagues.

Reply to
technodewa

Certification doesn't mean you can cut to the head of the line. My advice to you is, study for study sake. Study to learn the topics and not to pass exams. If you *really* learn the stuff, you will get noticed sooner or later (yes, some amount of luck is involved).

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.