Passing CCIE Exam without the equipment

Hi there,

From what I have read in this group the written part of the CCIE could

be passed even without real networking experience, just by studying the theory. Most people saying that for the Lab you reallhy need practial experience with the cisco equipment in the real world.

My question is, is it possible for one to either use software simulations of the equipment or build a dummie network with some equipment (hopfully cheaply) in order to mimic a real cisco network and potential problems that can occur?

It just seems to me that there is really NO entry level cicso job or any networking job for that matter, either you have already some experience or you have the certification.

It would be great if one could attain a lot of practical knowledge in an alternate way.

Looking forward to your feedbacks.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
r_stringer66
Loading thread data ...

Well you don't have to jump all the way to CCIE as the first step. I would highly recommend you do the CCNA/DA and CCNP/DP first. These require minimum experience and you certainly can practice with simulators on these. I don't know any simulator that can do all the CCIE stuff (I could be wrong and others feel free to correct me if I am), but you really need to get the feel for debugging complex problems to do the CCIE.

Dennis

r snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Willson

highly recommend you do the CCNA/DA and CCNP/DP first.

simulators on these. I don't know any simulator that can do all

but you really need to get the feel for debugging

Thanks for the feedback. Now where would one obtain such simulators from Cisco or third party vendors?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
r_stringer66

highly recommend you do the CCNA/DA and CCNP/DP first.

simulators on these. I don't know any simulator that can do all

but you really need to get the feel for debugging

Reply to
Dennis Willson

You answered your own question when you said "jump into "certified" expert with the 6 fig salary right from day one....??" Also the prestige that goes along with being CCIE and considered the expert.

Dennis

jw wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Willson

Actually the reason I want to get the CCIE is not because of the six figures salary and I certainly don't assume to achieve it overnight. The problem is that it is very difficult to get started in the networking business. Noone wants to hire an entry level juniour network engineer. In programmng and software development it's different, companies recruit coops and junior programmers with a college degree all the time. But when it comes to networking you will hardly see a post that assumes no experience.

Now I thought getting the cert first is going to force me to learn soo much that it will to some extend make up for the lack of work experience. I hoped that having simulators and some second hand equipment I could learn as much so that I could at least get a lower level job in the field and work my way up

But I have no idea where to begin so certifivation sounded like a good idea. Maybe some training that simulates real lab situations with real equipment will be efficient. If there are otherwise to get into networking please let me know.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
r_stringer66

Generally you start off doing helpdesk and general admin stuff and work your way into your first networking job. The helpdesk stuff isn't has interesting as networks, but you get exposed to the beginnings and get to mingle with the networking people. If you show interest and ask questions about how things work (do some studying and work with the simulators, or better get a couple of low end routers and hook them together) using some of your "labs" as subject matter you can start to show how quick you pick up networking and when needed maybe start doing some of the little things and work in from there.

Just some ways I've seen... Not how I did it, I bought a small ISP and learned by putting myself into the frying pan. Not everyone can do that.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Willson

It would most certiainly be a waste of your time. It doesant exist for a reason- if you cant get real experience on real gear you will never pass it. Start with a lower cert work your way up- by then you will have a good foundation for the IE level stuff. Why is it everyone wants to bypass the whole "experience" and skill part and jump into "certified" expert with the 6 fig salary right from day one....??

r snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
jw

Yes why - 6 fig salary perhaps :-)

Carl Dragert

Reply to
Carl

People who think they can still get a CCxx and get hired onto a new job making 6 figures are deluding themselves. I know a number of people who have applied for CCxx jobs in the past couple of years. None of those jobs were offering 6 figures. There are all kinds of salary surveys you can find which show that Cisco certifed people are making mad loot. But, those surveys are skewed by the salaries of people who have managed to hold onto the same jobs they had prior to Bush-onomics. New hires are having to settle for significantly less than 6 figures.

I have worked in this industry for 2 and a half decades, going back to the analog leased line modem days. I have a few long time friends who worked in IT for a couple of decades or so, only to be laid off during the past few years. Some of them have CCNAs, one of them was a CCNP, and one was even a CCIE. They all were able to find another job (with one exception , a CCNP with pre-existing health problems). But, in each case, their new job paid significantly less, somewhere around 2/3 of what they were making before getting laid of.

If a CCNx and a non-CCNx with comparable experience apply for the same job, the CCNx will get it. But, if the CCNx has less eperience, the non-CCNx gets the job. And, irregardless of who ends up with the job, either will be offered the same salary ... with the same lousy benefits most employers are offering new employees these days.

Cisco certificaiton is still a valuable asset, it ensures you will at least be able to find another job if you get liad off. But, if you want to make 6 figures in IT, become a Project Manager, not a CCxx.

Istlola

Reply to
Istlota

Everything you wrote sound right. I have worked in IT since 1976.

But everyone here is getting 6 figures ;-)

Carl Dragert (Denmark)

Reply to
Carl

"Carl" skrev i en meddelelse news:43763800$0$99986$ snipped-for-privacy@dread16.news.tele.dk...

USD is not equal DKK. Small difference...

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Things are different everywhere

Reply to
Christo

Why not become a CCxx Project Manager?

Reply to
thcollicutt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.