Packet Tracer homework problem

I've just started the second half of my CCENT course, and we're just learning how to configure routers using the CLI.

Our homework problem is:

End devices-----Switch------(Fa 0/1) Router 1 (Fa 0/0) ---------- (Fa

0/1) Router 2 (Fa 0/0)--------Switch-----end devices

Each router has a switch and 3 end devices. The problem gives all the IP addresses and masks to configure.

From the end devices within Router 1's network, I can ping local devices, as well as Fa 0/1 (which is my gateway, right?) and Fa 0/0. I can't ping beyond that. Similarly, Router 2's network behaves the same way.

So basically the routers aren't seeing each other. I feel like I'm missing something very simple, but I can't figure out what.

I've quadruple checked all my addresses.

I could use a hint....thanks for reading this far.

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
fac 51

The topology is actually given to us, and it uses a crossover, no serial.

What about the routing table? Am I supposed to "tell" each router about the other router?

Thanks for answering!

Reply to
Mitch

yes depends enable rip version 2 then type in each network address on each router both serial address's on each router

Reply to
fac 51

fac 51 scrisse:

Ehm, it should work with a ethernet link, serial link isn't required.

fac 51 scrisse:

What you think isn't important. You *MUST* set clock rate *ONLY* on DCE equipment.

fac 51 scrisse:

You have to study a lot before reply again.

Reply to
Sabatino Palladino

Mitch@_._ scrisse:

What you miss is posting the configuration of both routers.

Please login in on each of routers, type "show running-config", copy and paste the configurations.

Reply to
Sabatino Palladino

My professor posted some help for us online.

There qwere 2 commands we haven't learned yet, and these commands made it work.

router eigrp 154 no auto-summary

No idea what these do, but I'm off to find out now.

Reply to
Mitch

The routers are seeing each other because they share the same network. But each of them doesn't know about the network behind the other one.

That's why you need to enable a routing protocol.

router eigrp 154 ... enables Enhanced Interior Routing Protocol on your routers. 154 is process id or autonomous system. On every router you must enable eigrp with the same process id. The routing protocol allows router to advertise its directed connected networks to the other routers on the network. So R1 will learn about the network behind R2 through EIGRP.

no auto-summary ... disable automatic summarization.

more info here:

formatting link

Reply to
kukai

formatting link
Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Mitch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.