Overwhelmed with training options

I received my electrical engineering degree in 1990. In 1997 I quit to stay at home and raise my kids.

I'm ready to rejoin the workforce, and I'm interested in IT/Networking.

Going from Cisco's website, I found that courses are available right here at my local community college, but I've missed them and they won't be offered again until Fall.

I started looking into online training, but I have no idea how to evaluate them...there are so many.

Can I get some advice?

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

There is enormous amount of information and a free Cisco lab on this site: firewall.cx It has everything on this site, I am sure you will find it very useful. I got the link from my CCNA 1 & 2 classes and refer to it often. Hope this helps! Teecie

Reply to
teecie

If you have an EE, I would recommend not doing any training and just buying the self-study materials available through CiscoPress. I would follow that up with the Boson practice tests and simulator. I think that will cover you through the CCNA.

formatting link

Reply to
ccie15672

What if I don't know what a MAC address or a broadcast frame is. Will this take from the ground up?

Reply to
Mitch

Yes. Plus there are too many resources on the internet to count that you can rely on. Such as the Networking Forums, this newsgroup, any number of on-line Cisco study forums, etc.

Reply to
ccie15672

Yes. Plus there are too many resources on the internet to count that you can rely on. Such as the Networking Forums, this newsgroup, any number of on-line Cisco study forums, etc.

Reply to
ccie15672

So if I self study for CCNA, can I expect to get an entry-level job in IT, even without experience?

We're getting to move closer to the Chicago burbs, and I see there are a ton of jobs posted.

Reply to
Mitch

Interested in working in Milwaukee? I could get you an interview there provided you get your CCNA, at a technology company that manages hundreds of networks...

If you get your CCNA and you know how to interview, and you are clear with your prospects that you are working towards your CCNP or VP or IP or SP or something more... then yes... I think you should be able to find work.

Reply to
ccie15672

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.