OT - how much cooling required for Cisco 2501 / 2503

If it has fans, it requires fans. They may die quickly or slowly, but they require fans if they have them.

I doubt that Cisco would tell you. If you really want to know...buy a third, and use one as a sacrificial lamb. That'll give you a general idea. Buy a fire extinguisher just in case.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre
Loading thread data ...

Probably a good five or ten minutes.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Recently bought 2 routers on ebay for CCNA labtest. Must admit that the noise from the fans are taking a bit of my concentration as the routers are placed on the desktop (the physical one).

Anyone who has a more or less qualified guess as to how long time the routers can be powered on with the fans shut down without risk for the electrical components?

Reply to
please-answer-here

When you smell burning resistors, you know you have hit the limit.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Or as a famous (as least in Denmark) dane once said. When the toast smell burned reduce the time by 1½ minute

Ok Got your point. But !

The reason for asking the question at all is amongs other thing that the fan is not placed close to any components. Of course the fan is placed there for a reason, but again there is a great difference in running small test for perhaps about half an hour and then for having a router placed in a closed running 24/7

Reply to
please-answer-here

I had a 2500 that ran for a few days w/o the fan. Your experience may vary.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

You need three routers to do the CCNA Labs.

Why not get used to the noise since you'll not be able to disconnect the fans in a commercial environment, and no-one else seems to report your difficulty in concentration. Certainly it won't help your resume if you can't work with the equipment if it's switched on.

Failing that, wear ear defenders.

Reply to
M5WJF

Forgot to mention, get one Router that supports VTP, which the 2500 Series doesn't.

Reply to
M5WJF

I'm aware but the budget isnt' tuned for it now

True but on the other hand I wouldn't work 8 hours in a server/network closet

Reply to
please-answer-here

I'm aware of that. But my plan is to take the VTP/ VLAN trunk part purely on theory as routers supporting this are rather expensive, when you don't have any practical need for them afterwards

regards Henning

Reply to
please-answer-here

VTP is a L2 thing. Routers don't propogate it.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

If you work in a large enough company, you may end up working *more* than 8 hours in a data center.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Real-life anecdotal eveidence is often the best kind. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Sigh...evidence...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Your choice.

All the places I've been working we been utilising stuff as telnet / remote administration etc reducing the time spent in wire/server closet to a bare minimum !!

Reply to
please-answer-here

Sure but trunking encapsulation and subinterfaces is a "router thing"

Reply to
please-answer-here

What does that have to do with propagating VTP info?

Reply to
Hansang Bae

You're not getting my point. What I was trying to say was that the lessons and exercises about VLAN trunk and VTP and "router on a stick" etc. would for my parts purely theoreticallay since the IOS version on my routers doesn't support 802.1q (and no I'm not a cisco partner). I'm aware that VTP is a L2 thing.

Reply to
please-answer-here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.