OSPF Totally stubby area

Hi,

I am studying CCNP BSCI and this is a question where I couldn't find an answer in my BSCI book. Basically, the OSPF totally stubby area is a Cisco specific implementation. If all routers in area 1 including ABR are Cisco routers, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Now what if the ABR is Cisco while some of the routers in area 1 are not cisco? Will the totally stubby area still work as it ment to be?

Thanks.

Reply to
Guan Foo Wah
Loading thread data ...

Not any more, Extreme switches can also do totally stubby areas:

configure ospf area 0.0.0.1 stub nosummary

As can Juniper routers:

edit protocols ospf set area 1 stub no-summaries

Robert Smales

Reply to
Robert Smales

Also, the key point for certification exams, although all routers in a stub area have to be configured with the stub keyword, only the ABR needs to be configured with the no-summary keyword to make the area totally stubby.

So as long as your ABR is Cisco/Extreme/Junos-based, the rest of the routers in the totally stubby area merely have to be rfc-compliant (such as the ex-Unisphere Juniper ERX, which does not appear to support totally stubby areas)

Robert

Reply to
Robert Smales

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.