Online Learning For a Busy Guy Looking For CCNA

Hello all, I live in NY. I'm really considering the online learning method these days. My schedule is pretty consistent and I'm home usually by 7:30PM. It makes getting to any classes in NY impossible. Weekends are hampered with the family & kids. My weeknights though are pretty easy if I had to force myself to attend online schooling. Book studying when I get home is pretty tough unless I had a course layed out for me to follow. Maybe a mentor program.

I currently work as a sys admin transitioning to the company network engineer and the pressure for cisco certs is heavy. I know i can pass the exam with the education, but the self-studies isnt going to get me there. I work with our cisco equipment daily. im responsible for keeping our network going and connecting all of our networks (not an over-complicated one). I use cisco support very often to help get my tasks accomplished and luckily the techs are great with assisting in support as well as a small education session. What they usually teach me sticks with me and can be and has been used in the event we have a similar need in the future. So I know I can learn it.

What I know I need to learn are the basics; anyone can google the commands and how2s for CLI commands to get things happening, but i know i will fail essentials and fundamentals if i dont focus on them.

The job is willing to pay for the certs, but not the course; they just cnat justify right now sending me and loosing me at the job at the same time.

So can anyone recommend any of these distance learning programs for a guy like me?

Thanks in advance..

Reply to
GNY
Loading thread data ...

Like most things, it all depends on the budget. First, I would say don't use any one source for your learning, since different sources use different perspectives. Some will fill in holes that others didn't even address. But, first, since your company won't let you out of the office for a class, see if they will spring for some equipment for you to play with - google for a list of equipment for a CCNA lab. Don't use your live equipment :-) For study material, I always like getting books, you usually can't go wrong with Cisco Press. But, go to Amazon and search or CCNA books and read the reviews. I think the reviews on there general give a good reflection on the quality of the book. Last, if it is in the budget - your's or your company's, try something like CBT Nuggets, that have learning vides - sort of like going to class.

Good luck,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Thanks for the reply Jim. I actually have some test equipment :0 I picked up off ebay (3 2600 series routers and 2 switches; 1 1900 series and 1 2924). I have the Todd Lammle book from Sybex, Wendel Odem books and Video mentor, tons of CBT material and looking at attending a CCNA bootcamp for about 4 weekends. Its about $2,000 with NetCom Info (feedback?), but I think this will put things into a learning perspective for me. The learning path is more or less what I think i need. The cost isnt something I'm concerned with. Even if I could find a good online mentor I'd be happy. Direction is important. Being that I'm already working so heavily with our Cisco stuff, the learning path in a way has already been damaged.

The self study unfortunately is overpowered by normal daily routines. I do work with the Cisco part of our network daily, so my hands on experience is the best it can be. I dont test on the live equipment; I always have Cisco TAC support to help when I need to make changes.

Thanks for the help

GNY

Reply to
GNY

I don't think you'll have any problem. Working every day with it and all the prep you are talking about, I would think you'd pass easily.

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.