Newbie question about default gateways

Hello,

I'm a newbie when it comes to routing and firewalls. I have a network that services extremely large files - the average is proably around 1 GB - ranging from small to 100 GB files.

Their firewall has a 100 megabit interface. Their file server where they send the bulk of their data has a gigabit interface. Although they also send a good amount of data to our web server which is in a different network zone.

I currently have their default gateway as the firewall - should I somehow make the default gateway the file server and then make it go to the firewall (if that is even possible - I really don't know).

I'm wondering if those very large files have to go through the firewall which has a small pipe compared to the clients which are all gigabit as well as the server and switch. Does the firewall just inspect the beginning of the traffic and then direct it through the switch or is each very large file going the the firewall in its entirety?

Thanks

Reply to
Boe
Loading thread data ...

Thanks!

Reply to
Boe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.