Network Simulators

Hello,

I am about to start my 842-801 CCNP Routing (followed by the other 3). I was looking at two network simulator products available

formatting link
(netsim 6.0 from Boson) and
formatting link
(v 4.0).

I have downloaded the netsim 6 product - its OK, a little limited on the labs at the moment but you can make your own - but should be sorted when the full version is realeased. I cant find a demo version of routersim - so can only go on the screenshots.

From looking at the commands available the routersim seems to have many

more commands than the boson offering (access-lists being a prime example - I cant seem to find them on the boson netsim) - but the netsim looks to offer a little more flexibility?? I am only saying this as I have played with the product.

Does anyone have a view on which one is best. I know that buying routers / switches is probably the best way (I alredy have a couple of

2500's, 2600 and a switch) but am attracted to the complexity of the networks that the sims seem to offer to be able to configure - multitiered netorks of 10's of routers etc....

TIA.

Dave

Reply to
dave
Loading thread data ...

I don't have any views on which is best but you might also like to try MIMIC from these guys:

formatting link

Reply to
Paul Womar

Thanks Paul.

The MIMIC stuff looks really good, I have emailed them for a demo version.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Dave,

I can speak from experience from using both Netsim and Network Visualizer (from Routersim). Network Visualizer is a much better real-to-life simulator. Of course there are a few things I wish to be added, but what is there works well. One thing I find very important to point out is that the Network Visualizer is updated quite often and if you ever have a "need" for the product you will get personal attention.

I never advocate piracy, but if you are worried about purchasing you can find several torrents of the product with a crack for the key. Then I am sure you will be sold and then give the creators their due by purchasing the product.

My two yen worth! Wils> Hello,

Reply to
Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.