Network Restructuring (Network Design and Equipment)

This is the real commercial problem face by my company. Well, the reason I ask this problem is I salute and respect all of you as I believe all of you are as good as network solution company out there, or even better!!

Lets me rephrase the entire problem again.

Company expand so fast that the IT infrastructure is not fast enough to cater high volume of traffic; the initial design is not scalable. The number of new branch offices setup caused the company pay a high price in the leased line communication. Salesman and management staffs dial into company networks via 56K modem to access the database server and update the sale order. All the branch offices access the internet via HQ and download email via the external POP3 email server. Plan to revamp their IT infrastructure and reduce the leased line access cost. Here are some of the feedbacks consolidated from the various country managers and local salesman.

1) The email downloading and sending is very slow. They receive a lot of spam email this caused their individual mailbox quota use up very fast. 2) The sales and marketing departments need to access the internet to search for latest news and market trends. But the internet speed is very slow. These people are irritated by spywares and popup often. 3) The File transfer and Database access is very slow even in the local area networks.

I decided to put the real network cum equipment diagram of my current company as I believe this will at least give INSIGHT in solving the problem.

Please visit the website

formatting link
the diagrams which are network diagram and equipment diagram.

Now I plan to improve the IT infrastructure to cater for future expansion up to 10 countries. SAP will be implement to automate the overall company operation. Also expect 3rd party to access their server to submit and view sale order.

I also plan to redesign the network so that it is high available, scalable and secure.

Any suggestion and opinion? What is your comment after looking at my network and its insfrastructure (from the diagrams on

formatting link
) Any improving needed?

My email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Of course you can reply here, preferable :>

Thanks again for your opinion!! Thank You!!

Reply to
hunkgym
Loading thread data ...

This is the real commercial problem face by my company. Well, the reason I ask this problem is I salute and respect all of you as I believe all of you are as good as network solution company out there, or even better!!

Lets me rephrase the entire problem again.

Company expand so fast that the IT infrastructure is not fast enough to cater high volume of traffic; the initial design is not scalable. The number of new branch offices setup caused the company pay a high price in the leased line communication. Salesman and management staffs dial into company networks via 56K modem to access the database server and update the sale order. All the branch offices access the internet via HQ and download email via the external POP3 email server. Plan to revamp their IT infrastructure and reduce the leased line access cost. Here are some of the feedbacks consolidated from the various country managers and local salesman.

1) The email downloading and sending is very slow. They receive a lot of spam email this caused their individual mailbox quota use up very fast. 2) The sales and marketing departments need to access the internet to search for latest news and market trends. But the internet speed is very slow. These people are irritated by spywares and popup often. 3) The File transfer and Database access is very slow even in the local area networks.

I decided to put the real network cum equipment diagram of my current company as I believe this will at least give INSIGHT in solving the problem.

Please visit the website

formatting link
the diagrams which are network diagram and equipment diagram.

Now I plan to improve the IT infrastructure to cater for future expansion up to 10 countries. SAP will be implement to automate the overall company operation. Also expect 3rd party to access their server to submit and view sale order.

I also plan to redesign the network so that it is high available, scalable and secure.

Any suggestion and opinion? What is your comment after looking at my network and its insfrastructure (from the diagrams on

formatting link
) Any improving needed?

My email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Of course you can reply here, preferable :>

Thanks again for your opinion!! Thank You!!

Reply to
hunkgym

just curious (regardinour network diagrams): are you *really* using RIPv1? =) Why not using RIPv2, at least? Since you have *very* low-bandwidth dedicated links, even routing protocols on them can be pain (by causing additional load o'them by routing updates).

By the way, if you use pure Cisco environment, you'll maybe even benefit from switching even to EIGRP. It's more robust and flexible than RIP. BUT, you'll have to keep *all* routers being Cisco routers: EIGRP is Cisco proprietary.

Moreover, you can use (another Cisco proprietary, duh) ODR for all leased line links. This will give maximum bandwidth conservation for routing protocol traffic, I think. (Well, EIGRP stub may give similar effect, too)

... and throw away all those hubs. They are not for moderate (and big) neworks. "Dumb" (unmanageable) ethernet switches cost nothing today.

Reply to
Toxygenous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.