Multilink Frame relay problem

Anyone have experience with setting up a Multilink Frame-Relay? I've been tasked with setting up a router (2610) with this type of config and ... I've never configured a Cisco outside of a lab enviroment.

They sent me a "sample config" that I can only guess is the configuration of the router on the otherside of the T1s.

If anyone can offer some help it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure what to post here to help you help me, so just ask and I'll post it.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Brief steps for configuring Multilink FR should be the following:

1) configure interface mfr ( or subinterface if you need/want point-to-point ) ) as you would do with a serial 2) for each serial line you want to add to MFR bundle use encapsulation frame-relay mfr

Regards, Gabriele

"Matt" ha scritto nel messaggio news:eqdfso$a15$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.infoave.net...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

That's where I'm having my problem. Everything I've read on Cisco's website says to do that, but I can't seem to create the virtual interface of "mfr". Seems like there is a step before this, or a requirment that I have not fulfilled.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

What IOS version is the router running?

The only things I can think of are OLD IOS or no more free IDB to create a virtual interface; you can check the latter ( 99% is not your case ) using "show idb"

Regards, Gabriele

"Matt" ha scritto nel messaggio news:eqf54p$c5$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.infoave.net...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Hi Matt,

Follow the detailed steps:

Multilink Frame Relay (FRF.16)

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

A quick search using:

formatting link
indicates that this feature is not available on the 2610.

Reply to
Drake

I am running IOS Version 12.2(6e) according to "show ver"

Reply to
Matt

Brad, thanks for the reply. I get this far on these steps: SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

1. configure terminal

2. interface mfr interface-number

When I enter "interface mfr 1" it comes up with:

Router(config)#interface mfr 1 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(in case the formatting gets screwy the ^ is under the "f" in "mfr")

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide, I greatly appreciate it!

~Matt

formatting link

begin 666 blank.gif K1TE&.#EA`@`"`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````"``(```("A%$`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

I think you've an IOS image which does not support MFR.

Following there is an output from a c2610 with IOS 12.3(20)

c2610(config)#int ? Async Async interface BVI Bridge-Group Virtual Interface CTunnel CTunnel interface Dialer Dialer interface Ethernet IEEE 802.3 Group-Async Async Group interface Loopback Loopback interface MFR Multilink Frame Relay bundle interface Multilink Multilink-group interface Null Null interface Serial Serial Tunnel Tunnel interface Vif PGM Multicast Host interface Virtual-Access Virtual Access interface Virtual-Template Virtual Template interface Virtual-TokenRing Virtual TokenRing range interface range command

Regards, Gabriele

"Matt" ha scritto nel messaggio news:eqfcuj$8au$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.infoave.net...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Well, if you look up Multilink Frame-Relay, the two options (Multilink Frame Relay (FRF.16.1) Variable Bandwidth, and ..over L2TPv3AToM) do not list the

2610. But if you look up Frame Relay - Multilink (MLFR-FRF.16) the 2610 is actually listed.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Ok, you may be onto something. This is my int ? reply:

Router(config)#int ? Async Async interface BVI Bridge-Group Virtual Interface CTunnel CTunnel interface Dialer Dialer interface Ethernet IEEE 802.3 Group-Async Async Group interface Lex Lex interface Loopback Loopback interface Multilink Multilink-group interface Null Null interface Serial Serial Tunnel Tunnel interface Vif PGM Multicast Host interface Virtual-Template Virtual Template interface Virtual-TokenRing Virtual TokenRing range interface range command

So, what are my options now?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

I think you've an IOS image which does not support MFR.

Following there is an output from a c2610 with IOS 12.3(20)

c2610(config)#int ? Async Async interface BVI Bridge-Group Virtual Interface CTunnel CTunnel interface Dialer Dialer interface Ethernet IEEE 802.3 Group-Async Async Group interface Loopback Loopback interface MFR Multilink Frame Relay bundle interface Multilink Multilink-group interface Null Null interface Serial Serial Tunnel Tunnel interface Vif PGM Multicast Host interface Virtual-Access Virtual Access interface Virtual-Template Virtual Template interface Virtual-TokenRing Virtual TokenRing range interface range command

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

Consider upgrading your IOS to 12.3(9) o later ( latest for 261x should be

12.3(21) )

Before upgrading, have a look to IOS memory and flash requirements

Regards, Gabriele "Matt" ha scritto nel messaggio news:eqfle1$h15$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.infoave.net...

So, what are my options now?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

~Matt

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Ok, thanks! How is that done? Is that a free upgrade since it's a revision, or does it require licenses?

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

I do not know much about IOS licensing, but I suppose you need to buy some kind of support contract from Cisco in order to legally download a new IOS.

If you like, write me to my e-mail address..

Regards, Gabriele

"Matt" ha scritto nel messaggio news:eqfmgh$i3m$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.infoave.net...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

OK. Then you should be upgrading to one of the listed images. 12.2T or 12.3.

Reply to
Drake

Also needs to be IP plus for MFR

Reply to
Brian V

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.