Lab setup recommendations for CCNA study

Just started taking a class at my college that is teaching WAN technologies and management. Coursework will involve heavy use of Cisco routers and switches and uses Cisco materials for the text. I'm interested in setting up a simple lab at home to help prepare for CCNA.

I've seen the lab kits on eBay and I am mostly just interested in the minimum equipment needed for doing it. Yes I know there's NetSim but I would rather do it on the hardware if possible.

Any recommendations or link references would help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mark J
Loading thread data ...

One way of doing it using three routers:

Get three 1601 R routers off of eBay with power supplies and make sure you get at least one console cable out of the deal. They are selling the routers these days mostly without the power supply, and f*ck me if I know why. If you give yourself a few days, you should be able to find three with power supplies. Only buy from sellers who know what IOS is on the router and make sure they don't blow it away like Cisco tells them to. You really only need one IOS -- you can copy from one to the other two with no problem using the TFTP software on the Cisco Web site. Try to get them with a minimum of 8MB flash memory cards.

Get a WIC-1T card to fit into one of the 1601's. I got one recently for $25 plus shipping.

Get two V.35 serial to male cables and two V.35 serial to female cables. This will allow you to simulate connections to DTE equipment and connect all three routers. They're very expensive cables but you can get them really cheap on eBay.

Make sure the computer you are using has a serial port. If not, get a USB to serial conversion cable.

That's all the equipment you need. A book like Lammle's will tell you how to connect them all and get them up and running.

Reply to
Melvin

Reply to
Mark J

11.2 and up have worked for me. Of course, I got one with version 12.something, and I just copied that to all of the other routers via TFTP. It breaks the licensing agreement with Cisco, so watch out for the black helicopters.
Reply to
Melvin

LOL thanks for the warning. Started doing some basic commands with Cisco

Reply to
Mark J

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.