IP Address Block Assignment

Folks:

Let us assume that a large multinational company is about to setup a standard corporate network with global reach. Here are a few related questions:

• HOW does the company get an IP address block assigned to it for its global network to function ? * WHO assigns the IP address block to be used in the company's global network ? * Does the company have a CHOICE in selecting its IP address block ? * Can someone walk me through the PROCESS from the point of applying for a block of IP addresses to the point of having same assigned to the company ?

Any references/links to good literature describing the assignment process would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks, Jo.

Reply to
<JoJo>
Loading thread data ...

here's how time warner telecom does it

formatting link
'm currently applying for a class C from them, and they are basically making me justify the need by answering a bunch of questions about how we will use it...

Reply to
john smith

John Smith:

I know that classes A/B/C are often chosen based on the # of subnets & # of hosts per subnets that are required. I believe that the class A/B/C choice may also has something to do with public or private addresses to be used on individual LANs.

• Why did you prefer to apply for Class C address rather than Class A or Class B ? * Does this mean that you will be using private addresses + NAT on your various LANs. ?

Thanks, John.

Reply to
<JoJo>

we have a lot of servers that will be publicly accessible from the internet

Reply to
john smith

I'm just curious but are you talking 'hundreds'? I just suspect the Telco will ask you to explain why NAT working with a smaller IP block isn't workable.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

And the fact that Apache is able to forward HTTP requests based on header content so a single server can host numerous web sites.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

I thought classes of IP aren't used anymore.

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

Start here:

formatting link

Reply to
Paul Womar

It just means he's applying for a block that uses a 24 bit mask.

Reply to
BernieM

and not necessarily between 224..239 (correct?)

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

err, whoops that's class D - multicast - range. I meant does he also mean that the block was in the class C range, 192..223

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

we dont use apache. we use IIS , and yes it can do the same thing. these are not static webpages... There is a lot of application processing going on with other servers. (this is the real world) we requested a block of IP addresses with a 24bit mask - as someone pointed out. i have no idea where the block will come from, since we haven't been assigned it yet. good luck getting assigned a full class A, if they are even still around. we have over a 100 servers. Plus we need addresses for general end user connectivity , network devices, and other misc. items. (stop sounding so text book). this will be our 5th class C, ahem, excuse, 24bit block of IPs. This one is for our DR site though.

Reply to
John Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.