ip accounting precedence for non-transit traffic

In my home study lab, I'm finding that the 'ip accounting precedence output' and 'show int e0/0 precedence' commands do not work as expected when the same router is the one generated the traffic you're hoping to capture.

What I was doing was using a policy-map to set the IP Precedence to 5 of generated ping packets and the 'show policy-map int e0/0' command showed that these markings were being set. However, the 'show int e0/0 precedence' output showed this traffic as precedence 0 instead of 5. So, although I can't find this written anywhere, it appears that if the capturing and generating router are the same, the show output won't have show the markings on the packets. This is what I'm gathering from my experiments. Can anyone comment or corroborate that?

thanks -

Reply to
marko
Loading thread data ...

Verify first that the router really is marking the IP precedence of that traffic to 5. It is one thing to apply a policy-map to an interface when the traffic is coming from outside of a router versus this situation where the router is generating the traffic. Also try an extended PING command where you specify the source IP address of the PING to help match whatever your policy map has, if applicable.

! access-list 2001 remark * access-list 2001 remark * Declaring ICMP (including PING) to 10.10.10.10 for QoS access-list 2001 remark * access-list 2001 permit icmp any host 10.10.10.10 ! class-map match-any ICMPclass description * Classification of ICMP traffic to 10.10.10.10 match access-group 2001 ! policy-map ICMPtagging description * Mark ICMP to 10.10.10.10 as IP Presedence 5 class ICMPclass set ip precedence critical ! interface Ethernet1 service-policy input ICMPtagging interface Ethernet0 service-policy output ICMPtagging !

-----

Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Thanks... those are good ideas...

Reply to
marko

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.