IOS Upgrade Successful, but having interface trouble

I have a 7140 router that came with IOS 12.1. Under the advisement of several sources, we upgraded to version 12.3 and the upgrade was successful. Although, originally we had the router configured properly and running in a live environment using version 12.1. Since the upgrade to version 12.3 one of the fastE interfaces will not come up. I know the interface is physically OK because I used it to config the router. I know this is a very broad question and I would only expect a broad answer, but can anybody think of any reason an interface would come up using 12.1 and not in 12.3? I am using the 100% identical running-config. My guess is that something in ver. 12.1 was, or was not, implied, compared to version 12.3. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I am at a standstill right now now. Thanks in advance.

--Matt

Reply to
Teddy Ruxpin
Loading thread data ...

Personal suggestion, make a backup of the config you want to run. Erase the NVRAM and reboot. Now that you have a fresh setup, configure the interface with a very basic configuration and then test. If it works that way there is definitely a command conflict. Then you can reboot again and paste portions of your saved config in to the router and should see which command is conflicting. If the first basic setup didn't work then I wouldn't know what to suggest next.

My two yen worth! Wils> I have a 7140 router that came with IOS 12.1. Under the advisement of

Reply to
Wilson

Actually I am doing something very similar to that. I am using a copy/paste of my config from a 7507 and pasted it into this 7140 that is having troubles. When we first got the 7140 and it was running 12.1 this exact same config worked fine, but now that we have upgraded to

12.3 the exact same config is not working. I am certain the interface works because I was able to put the faste0/0 on a private ip and us a cross-over to connect to a PC...so that should tell me the interface is OK. With that said, I don't think wiping it and starting over will resolve anything...unless you really think I still should?? Thanks again.
Reply to
Teddy Ruxpin

Yes. Your new IOS does not support the particular interface in question. It's quite common actually. Did you check the release notes of the IOS to see what bugs await you? You can also look up the feature navigator to see what IOS version supports your card.

If you do a "sho ver" (or "show diag") you may see "unrecognized hardware" or "wedged..." card.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Thanks for the reply hsb, but this does not seem to be the issue. We checked with a certified reseller and they assured us this version IOS,

12.3, will work with the routers interfaces. I ran a 'show ver' and it did not show any errors or unrecognized hardware. I would think the interfaces are fine since I was able to configure the router using the ethernet interface. Can you reference were version 12.3 does not support the hardware on my machine? I appreciate your time. Thanks again!

--Matt

Reply to
Teddy Ruxpin

Toby, thank you very much for the reply. Using the same running config wth the cross-over and test PC I was able to change the ip address on the faste port to match the same network the PC is on and the port stays up perfectly. Now, if I put the IP address I need to use in a live environment and add the secondary IP's (back to the original config that worked on 12.1) it will not link with the managed switch. We are using the same port and cable on the switch and the switch appears to be set for full duplex on that port. In regards to the keepalive you might have something. If I recall correctly, at one point I powercycled the switch the fastE interface is linked to and I did receive a link light on the routers interface for about 20-30 seconds, then it went down and stayed down. I think I recall reading else where an interface will listen for keepalive packets for 3 attempts at 10 seconds an attempt (would put me right around the 30 second mark). Thanks again for the advice!

--Matt

Reply to
Teddy Ruxpin

Hi Matt

I don't know the diferences between v12.1 and 12.3 in regards to FastEthernet settings but can you state the differences in the basic test config you had working with a crossover cable and your live network config. Is the interface up/down or down/down. have you tried fixing the speed to 10 or 100M and tweaking the duplex setting also. (usually not needed with Cisco-Cisco kit but worth a try also you will need to do this both ends). Also try no keepalive at both ends and see if the i/f comes up and is operational with pings.

You could also try debug's I have never used them on Ethernet/fastEthernet and my 2501 with standard Ethernet just reports %condition 1 set and I don't understand that!!!!. No output though.

regards

Toby

Reply to
toby

I tried DEBUG INTERFACE ETHERNET 0 before.

You could try DEBUG ETHERNET-INTERFACE (may be a fastethernet option on your router.)

I get the following o/p

00:41:20: %LANCE-5-LOSTCARR: Unit 0, lost carrier. Transceiver problem? 00:41:30: %LANCE-5-LOSTCARR: Unit 0, lost carrier. Transceiver problem? 00:41:40: %LANCE-5-LOSTCARR: Unit 0, lost carrier. Transceiver problem?

Toby

Reply to
toby

Then post your config (sho run int faX/Y/Z), "sho ip int brief" and "sho int fax/y/z)

It could be:

1) Switch going into errdisable mode because of duplex mismatch. 2) Interface being in admin down mode 3) You are using a cross-over cable instead of a straight-through one.
Reply to
Hansang Bae

The interface is definitely not shutdown and I am not using a cross-over cable ;-). In regards to the duplex mis-match I am going to put no keepalive on that interface and see how that goes. I will log into the switch and triple-check the interface is set manually for full-duplex. Thanks again for the reply.

--Matt T

Reply to
Teddy Ruxpin

Teddy

Is portfast configured on the switch port. If not enable it (assuming the router is not bridging) and make sure that pagp is off on the switch port. This will help to bring the switchport up more quickly. Maybe the interace is timing out waiting for the switch port to come up - it shouldnt, but its worth a try.

Rgds

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Eureka! I turned debugging for the interface on, but it did not give me any relevant information. I issued 'no keepalive' for the interface and it came right up. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks again!

--Matt

Reply to
Teddy Ruxpin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.