IOS noob - load a startup configuration

I need to know how to get my configuration to load on start up. I get the router configured, save the configuration and copy it to startup-config. When I power cycle the router the setup command executes and none of my previous configuration is loaded. Even configuration done through SDM doesn't load. I assume that I am missing something very basic. Advice is appreciated.

Reply to
Jeff Gardner
Loading thread data ...

Jeff,

Make sure your config-register is set to recommended value 0x2102. Most likely you have your config register set to 0x2101 value, which instructs router to ignore saved config.

Good luck,

Mike

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

That did the trick. Can you advise as to a reference for upgrading IOS image?

Reply to
Jeff Gardner

Put the upgrade image on a tftp server... from the IOS CLI:

enable conf t config-register 0x2101 ^Z wr mem reload

The router will reboot and the flash will now be in read-write mode. This is called "boot mode." Avoid saving anything in this mode and answer no to any prompts about saving your current configuration. If you do save your config while in this mode, it may be partially or completely erased...

enable conf t config-register 0x2102 ^Z copy tftp flash it'll prompt for ip address... it'll prompt for filename... use same name to save as... when asked about erase say YES to confirm... reload answer NO to save current config answer YES to continue with reload

Reply to
Jeff Gardner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.