Inter VLAN routing with a 2611 router

I'm working through the CCNA & I've reached the point of configuring 802.1Q on routers. I have a 2611 router which is connected via a 10Meg ethernet connection to my 2650 switch (which in turn is connected to another 2650 switch). Unfortunately when I try to configure sub interfaces as per the text in my book I'm receiving this error message:

'Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q, or ISL vLAN.'

I've tried many different combinations of commands on the interface & subinterfaces but the CLI doesn't even recognise the 'encapsulation' command, I'm thinking that something needs to be configured globally but I'm not sure, certainly my book hasn't indicated that. I've searched the Cisco web site & also my CCNA Command quick reference guide but with no joy in solving the problem, can anyone point out where I'm going wrong?

TIA, Jase.

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

There's only a few IOS images that support 802.1Q encapsulation on your 2611 router.

Search in the feature navigator for 'IEEE 802.Q VLAN Trunking' feature for your router.

Part of knowing cisco is knowing their website for finding information. Find the feature navigator and find the images that support that feature.. :)

Most likely, you'll have to upgrade to one of the images returned to support what you want to do.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Jason schrieb:

Which IOS release and feature set are you running on that machine? IIRC dot1q is only supported in IP Plus or better on that platform.

Reply to
Tilman Schmidt

Tilman Schmidt wrote in news:fnsasv$l0o$ snipped-for-privacy@news.pironet-ndh.com:

Sorry I should've posted this with the original question:

GROUCHO#show version Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(27), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Tue 02-Nov-04 23:44 by kellmill Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x80A1F47C

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

GROUCHO uptime is 2 hours, 21 minutes System returned to ROM by reload System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-27.bin"

cisco 2611 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x203) with 61440K/4096K bytes of memory. Processor board ID JAD04420E7O (4253923018) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 Serial network interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
Reply to
Jason

You should just have to create a subif fa 0/1.1 then enter it and encap dotq

If that doesnt work, more then likely it is not apart of the image you are using.

Reply to
turnip

Which isn't a version that supports 802.1Q. You'll have to upgrade, and consult the Feature Navigator like I previously posted to find which images do support that feature.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I don't believe that the 2610 or 2611 support 802.1q because they have only

10MB interfaces. The Ethernet controller doesn't support the larger packet sizes required for the tag. You need a 2610XM or 2611XM which have 10/100 interfaces. The 2610 and 2611 also don't do full duplex, (again because it isn't supported by the Ethernet controller) even though you can configure it on the interfaces. A "show interface" will say the interface is "10/full" but in fact it is only "10/half".

The rule of thumb for dot1q support on Cisco routers is that if the interface doesn't do full duplex, it also doesn't do dot1q.

Reply to
Thrill5

Then forgot what you believe in and try to gather some info before bashing other people, because you're simply wrong:

formatting link

Reply to
Łukasz Bromir

Thats incorrect for the trunking. I have done dotQ trunking on a 2610 with the proper IOS image loaded. At the time I had done it, there was only one or two loads that could do it, but I see from FN that there are several now.

I think people came to this conclusion because I know of no other vendor that supports dotQ on a 10Mbps interface, so people didn't think it was possible.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

formatting link

Reply to
Thrill5

Doug McIntyre wrote in news:47a5ec05$0$1110$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.iphouse.net:

I've managed to get some versions of IOS that support 802.1q for my router. Unfortunately I don't have enough storage to run any of them from flash, but I have successfully run one of the new images via TFTP, so I should be OK to switch between the two images as required for my studies. Thanks for the info about 'Feature Navigator' on Cisco's site too, a very useful tool.

Cheers, Jase

Reply to
Jason

would someone just the name of an image that supports this?

Reply to
Larry Jones

"Larry Jones" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The one that I'm using is:

c2600-is-mz.121-27b.bin

I think you need to look in Cisco's feature finder for images that are listed as 'IP PLUS' for your router.

Hope that helps you, Jase

Reply to
Jason

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.