I need more advice from the pro's

I had a tentative plan to start studying right away for the CCNET, hopefully get a job..any job...then continue with CCNA.

Then I was going to attack the Information Security program at Devry:

formatting link
I spoke with that advisor at Devry again. I told her my plan, and she thinks I should chuck the CCNET/CCNA and get started in their info security program right away (of course she does).

My point was, I can hopefully get a job with the CCNET, and then work on the security degree while I had a job.

Her point is, just having the fact that I'm pursuing their degree is great on a resume.

My point was, just being enrolled in a program doesn't mean that you actually know how to DO the stuff...right? If that were they case, I could have got an engineering job before getting my engineering degree.

Anyway, do you have any clue how long I should expect it to take to get the CCNET if I'm not currently working, and it's my priority?

And does she have any valid point about being enrolled in a program and thinking that will help get me a job? Unless of course the first course on the list (an 8-week course) would be enough to get me in the door somewhere.

Looking for advice, here.

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

Get your certification on your own this summer and then enroll in an associate degree program at some acredited local community college for information technology for this fall. Acredited community colleges and universities allow you to transfer classes and credits. Those small training schools do not and cost a lot more. As for the quality of their education, it has yet to be proven. I prefer the instructors hired and retained by a larger institution like a college than the instructors hired by a struggling training company. Depending on which accredited college which you decide to attend, they will very likely have classes that you can skip by showing proof of your certification. It is cheaper and does not make you double some of your work in the classroom. Spending your time and money at some learning institute that cannot transfer your credits to a university or other college is a real waste. When you tire of being a grunt in the IT field and want to get a bachelor's degree to make your last 10, 20, or 30 years of employment more benficial, you will hate yourself for going to an institue which does not transfer classes and credits to a 4 year college or university.

I have seen someone with a PC and server background pick up a CCNA in 3 months. In this case, they actually commited one evening of their time each week without exception, did not have to pay for anything other than their book, and passed on their 2nd try. The CCNA can be picked up in time for a fall college semester to start.

As for this "information security" title, I would not value that more than a regular "information technology" title. Sure, you sound more security oriented, but you also sound more "pidgeon-holed" or unable to broaden into other positions. At least a broad information technology title can understand firewalls and security appliances while also knowing the rest of the field.

If you want to get a job, it might be a lot better to get the CCNA and state that you are enrolled and attending a degree program.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

It might be worth something if it works towards something like CISSP or another independent security accreditation.

formatting link
ask them what comes out the other end, and then hunt up the acronyms.

Reply to
Stephen

Great, great advice. thanks for that! I'm really looking forward to starting.

Of course now I'm getting cynics telling me to avoid the entire field because it sucks, no upward mobility, etc.

But I know from experience that once I decide and apply myself, i excel. So I don't consider myself average when it comes to learning and moving forward.

I do, however, consider myself to totally suck at typing. Something I've meant to address for, oh, I don't know, 30 years. :)

This may be a good time to buy Mavis Beacon.

Reply to
Mitch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.