I'd like to get some career guidance please

Hello,

Noting that I am female, I have some questions about a career in Cisco networking competing among men aside from other general questions such as whether it is wise/realistic to try starting a career at a not so young age even if I have a degree in Computer Info systems, i.e I am not a stranger to technical field. (I am aware that degree doesn't carry much weight; i am just giving my background.)

The reason I am asking here is that I do not want to make any more mistakes - I have made serious mistakes not trying to get into networking area a lot sooner after obtaining my degree (5 year ago) but there were good reasons in a way such as recovering from illness plus in a b=very abusive situation by families though I now see that I was being stupid to let them use me and abused me - and need to get somewhere in life before I get too old. A little background here.

I am in my early 40s and am from a science background before studying CIS (I had a master's degree in that field but career-wise, I was in limbo as a non-immigrant w/o US residency) before I studied Computer Info systems. During my study of CIS - I did get instate tuition fee due to a new law, I was ill. At first, I didn't know that it was the mold at school. I alos had a breast surgery which weakened my already weak body. To make the story short, after spending so much money and struggle, IT market was in terrible shape and I had no more money nor is my mother (foreign country) around anymore - have no access to inheritance either since older siblings are controlling. Due to the industrial pollution in the city I was at and also due to the climate, I moved to CA near my much older sister and my plan to get certifications - initially was in Java - never happened while I lived under constantly abusive situation, doing all kind of dirty work for her and put up with another sister (may age) whom I had to babysit and take abuse.

As of now, I have succeeded in cutting them off emotionally, not just for not being available for dirty work. Needless to say, I had got no financial help since late last year when I did what I had to do to get my oldest sister from using me with no regard for my future - the financial help to eat and sleep was at a big expense and I couldn't live like that anymore.

While my cash flow is dwindling, my plan to get A+ this summer did not happen.

I didn't get study for MCSA this summer either and am feeling great regret the moment but then, I am having stability issues - I have a comfortable place till December but I am worried about having a decent place (apartment) afterward with no stable income. (I do have an option to rent a room but will have to put most my stuff in storage.) So I need to make a decision whether I should still pursue Cisco or find some job and move on with life. I have just started substitute teaching a week ago but not getting enough hours so far.

I am wondering that in order to concentrate on a career in Cisco, whether I should apply for a student loan (though I don't not know how much I will get for taking Cisco classes from Cisco Academy at a local community college) while doing substitute teaching with hope to find an internship (unpaid) once I take Cisco certs.

I should let you know though that my hearts really is in Cisco. I thought about apply for teller position in banks - they are hiring - but when I think about it. I can't see myself feeling satisfied in those line of work. Then, due to my age, I feel like I should forget pursuing Cisco route which will invovle taking unpaid internship before I can find any work while competing with men.

I really want to get opinion on the age issue, provided that I have no industrial experience in IT, and given the fact that I am a female - though not girly, I am kind of delicate due to my unique Rhinitis. Running around in the heat would give me sinus headache but I know how to protect myself well wearing white jacket and a hat.

My understanding is that service area in Cisco is where most of the job opportunities are. I was told that if I know programming as well as servicing, I would be valuable. I was also told that I should do unpaid internship and I am willing to do that if I see a future in Cisco route.

I would appreciate those in industry offering their view, given my situation.

Reply to
cisco.student.777
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.