How to connect a 2500 router to the internet

I have just bought a used cisco router 2503 for practicing my CCNA subjects as I want to do the exam in the future, but I do not exactly know how to connect the router to the internet , and I would appreciate your help and assistance if you could let me know how to connect it and make it work.

follwoing are the spec of teh router: * Ethernet AUI (IEEE 802.3) (DB-15) * Token Ring (IEEE 802.5) (DB-9) * Synchronous serial (DB-60) * ISDN BRI (RJ-45) * Console (RJ-45) * Auxiliary (RJ-45)

I have started the studies, and know who to assign ip addresses etc. I bought the router to do some real life practice. I got a adsl connect, i want to connect this router to teh internet.

I will appreciate your help

Thanks

Reply to
iwillseeyouat
Loading thread data ...

The 2503 doesn't have an DSL capabilities so you won't be able to connect it up to your ADSL connection, you'd need to get a standard ADSL router for that. However if you really wanted to play around you could get another one and connect it up as...

ADSL ADSL Router 2503 2503 Your Computer

...and have a different subnet between each one, and then have your internet traffic routing across it all.

Reply to
Terry

to your ADSL connection, you'd need to get a standard ADSLrouterfor that. However if you really wanted to play around you could

yourinternettraffic routing across it all.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply,

Just to get things a little more clear, I will be connecting my adsl router to 2503 on its ethernet port and from the serial port on 2503 i will connect a cable to my NIc on my pc. This means i need a serial to rj45 cable. Do you what is the cable called, or i just ask for serial to rj45 cable.

Thanks for your Help

Reply to
iwillseeyouat

to your ADSL connection, you'd need to get a standard ADSLrouterfor that. However if you really wanted to play around you could

yourinternettraffic routing across it all.- Hide quoted text -

No, you can't connect the serial to the ethernet.

Reply to
Terry

This is what I've done on occasion, and it may help. You want to use an ADSL router, preferably through a crossover cable to your 2503. If memory serves me, you need a transceiver on the 2503. You could still connect your computer to the router via another crossover, unless you have a spare place on the 2503 for a second transceiver. Centrecom and others make them, they are relatively inexpensive. You also need a rollover cable which is serial-RJ45 to go from the serial to the Console port of the router. I am going to suggest the following, which may save you some energy as it did me. Go get an adapter which is usb-serial. If you search carefully, you can pay maybe $8.00 and shipping on Ebay. If I recall, Cables-R-Us is one vendor. I like this kind of adapter because I can move it around to my other devices. If you expand your network, I recommend 3550s or 2620s, though I know that's subject to debate. I find the 2620 a much better router for practice, even though I've been at it only since August, and paid money out the @$$ for my entire set up. If you are spending money on equipment, do yourself a big favor. Get thee to a store and get the CCNA Command Quick Reference, which I have found an indispensable asset! Just the cabling guide alone was worth the price for me!

Best Wishes, David

Reply to
David M. Schwartz

Go from your ADSL router to the ethernet port on the 2500, you will need a transceiver if you don't already have one.

Put a Token Ring card in your PC. Connect it and the Token Ring interface of the 2500 to a Token Ring MAU.

Reply to
Brian

The most important aspect of the Cisco 2503 router not working is DHCP and PPPoE commands.

The Cisco 2500 series does not support DHCP on its interfaces. You will not be able to lease an IP address from your Internet service provider with the

2503. If your Internet service requires you to perform a PPPoE login, your router will also not be able to perform this function.

Go with Terry's suggestion of putting a common home router (Linksys/SMC/DLink) on the DSL modem and then putting the 2503 behind it. The home router will lease an Internet IP address and authenticate your connection. A static IP address assignment on the 2503 Ethernet 0 interface and a static default route to network 0.0.0.0 will get you on the LAN side of the home router at 10mb/s and half duplex - the most that router Ethernet

0 interface can do.

It sounds like you need to buy an ethernet transceiver in order to connect an RJ-45 ethernet cable to interface Ethernet 0 on the router. If you are an EBay person, do a search on EBay or search images on the Internet for "AT210T" or "CentreCOM AUI". That is the item that you need.

=========== Scott Perry =========== Indianapolis, Indiana ________________________________________

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.