Help with installing my IOS?

Because he just installed new flash, he doesn't have a full IOS image available to run the copy command, so he's using rommon.

It's possible, however, that there's an rxboot image available in rom. (Don't know offhand if this model has it or not.) Try putting a "1" in the last digit of your config register and reload. If you get an rxboot image running, it may be a little more robust at handling tftp problems.

On the other hand, it looks as though the load actually started and then quit after a few seconds. That would indicate that the router was set up ok, but something happened to the PC after a bit. How much time elapsed from the first to the last "!" displaying? I'd suspect that something else running on the PC is messing it up, and either changing its IP address or preventing the network stack from responding to an ARP request. Try shutting down any extra network-related crap on your pc that you're not using, or try a different machine.

Reply to
Mike Dorn
Loading thread data ...

As i've mentioned before i'm trying to install an IOS image onto my 2610 router. I have just installed new flash and ram. My router is connected directly to my PC via a console cable and a crossover cable. I set up the TFTP server on my PC, put the IOS image in the route directory and configured the router in rommon. When i issue the command 'tftpdnld' the download starts but times out after a short while with the error 'ARP: address resolution for 192.168.0.100 timed out.'

I've configured the LAN card as 192.168.0.6

192.168.0.100 is the address of the router on which i'm installing the IOS, right? Where am i going wrong? If someone could tell me exactly what to do, including configuring the TCP/IP settings for my LAN card, i'd appreciate it.

Details below:

rommon 12 > tftpdnld

IP_ADDRESS: 192.168.0.100 IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0 DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.0.100 TFTP_SERVER: 192.168.0.6 TFTP_FILE: c2600-is5-mz.123-13.bin

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only. WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost! Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y . Receiving c2600-is5-mz.123-13.bin from 192.168.0.6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! ARP: address resolution for 192.168.0.100 timed out. ARP failed with failure code 1. TFTP transfer aborted.

TFTP: Operation terminated prematurely.

Reply to
tbr

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One question why dont you just use the copy tftp: flash command? Also try using a different TFTP server on your PC

Reply to
CK

The error you are getting seems a little strange but I don't think having the router listed as your default gateway is going to help given that it's in Rommon mode and hence not capable of doing any routing.

Reply to
Paul Womar

Success!

Thanks everyone for your help. Firstly i chaged the default gateway to 192.168.0.0 I'm not sure that a default gateway was important but rommon seemed to require an entry before i could issue the tftpdnld command.

Secondly i noticed another optional variable on the Cisco website namely:

TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: Retry count for ARP and TFTP (default=7)

Seeing as my interruption was arp-related i figured it was worth a try and just upped the default from 7 seconds to 5 mins!

So thanks again. I've got an adsl-wic to configure now, so expect me back on here in a few days time!

Mike.

Reply to
tbr

Success!

Thanks everyone for your help. Firstly i chaged the default gateway to 192.168.0.0 I'm not sure that a default gateway was important but rommon seemed to require an entry before i could issue the tftpdnld command.

Secondly i noticed another optional variable on the Cisco website namely:

TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: Retry count for ARP and TFTP (default=7)

Seeing as my interruption was arp-related i figured it was worth a try and just upped the default from 7 seconds to 5 mins!

So thanks again. I've got an adsl-wic to configure now, so expect me back on here in a few days time!

Mike.

Reply to
tbr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.