Help Understand Cisco Router memory with sh ver command

Hi there I am studying for my CCNA but am having trouble with some practice questions to do with the output of the sh ver command. More specifically what is DRAM and what is NVRAM in the output below, any help would be much appreciated. Some books state that the 22528K/2048K bytes of memory below is DRAM? and the 8192K bytes of processor board System flash is NVRAM is that correct? _______________________________________________________________ System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz[1].122-1.bin"

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x202) with 22528K/2048K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAB03110J2M (2158775703) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 Serial network interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Reply to
JJ
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

You have 24MB of DRAM here (22528K/2048K)

You have 8MB of flash (8192K)

and you have the 32K of NVRAM

all 3 are seperate

DRAM memory chips (as you see in a PC) FLASH chip (a bit, like a flash card from a camera for example) NVRAM (a programmable EPROM chip (much like the BIOS in a PC) or it could also share the FLASH chip.

IOS image in FLASH congig in NVRAM

-----

***************************************************** *** Resources for certified network professionals *** ***
formatting link

JJ wrote:

Reply to
Dave Bradley

To remember that the IOS is in Flash just think of the flash updates. The config is stored in NVRAM and can be changed ( copy run start ) and erased ( erase start followed by a reload to reboot ).

There are plenty of good sites out there to help you with your CCNA quest ( I am prepping for it as well ) and here is one excellent site that I frequent:

formatting link
lots of resources and very knowledgable folks there.

Reply to
Canuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.