GNS3 system reqs

Hi there!

I have a GNS3 question. What are system requirements for running GNS3? I've just started preparing myself for BSCI exam (I bought Authorized Self Study Guide from Cisco Press) and I'm planning to buy myself a new computer for running GNS3. What configuration would you recommend me to buy? What CPU and how much memory do I need? What OS would you recommend me for running GNS3, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Linux?

I was thinking about some core2duo CPU based computer with 4 or 8 GB of RAM. What is more important, to have as much RAM as possible, or to have less but faster RAM?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
rai
Loading thread data ...

Hi, there

=46rom what I've seen, GNS3 really likes to hammer the CPU, even when you activate the idle timers (and I would strongly suggest you read the manuals on this and make sure you enable the idle PC, or your PC could easily become unresponsive).

You'll need a 64 bit OS to run 4 gigs or more of RAM, as the 32 bit cannot address more than about 3.2-3.4 gigabytes of memory.

WHat I would suggest is the following:

Quad core processor if they're not too expensive (from what I've seen, they have really come down in price lately) if 64 bit OS, as much RAM as you can afford, if 32 bit OS, 3-4 gigs of RAM Disk=3Dnot too important, maybe 1x500 gig drive should do you fine. If you're familiar with Linux or don't mind a small learning curve from Windows, definitely go with Linux. From what I understand, Linux and GNS3 go well together. Windows tends to crash sometimes. Definitely do NOT go Vista, it eats memory like crazy.

Fast timings on the RAM are basically irrelevant. They might give you a 1-2% increase in speed. If you have the money, go for them, if not, go for the CAS 4 or 5 RAM, which will do you fine.

Good luck!

Reply to
Mike Rahl

Yep, I've just read the manual, and I didn't know for the idle PC option, thanks!

AFAIK it can with PAE option turned on, and it is supported on Win XP SP2 and above, and recent Linux distributions.

Here's the cheapest ones I found here in Croatia:

CPU INTEL Core2Quad Q6600 BOX, s. 775, 2.4GHz, 8MB c., FSB 1066MHz, 64 bit, QuadCore

which is cheaper than this one:

CPU INTEL Core2Duo E8500 BOX, s. 775, 3.16GHz, 6MB c., FSB 1333MHz

Which one of these ones would be better for GNS3, cheaper Quad or more expensive Duo?

That's nice to know, thanks. I'm an advanced Linux user so that's not gonna be a problem. The problem is that Linux runs slower than Win XP on my Barton 2500+ based machine so I'm not sure that GNS3 would run faster. I guess on newer machine would.

And on Linux it does not crash?

That's nice to know, thanks.

Meaning, I can go with more slower memory than with less faster memory?

Thanks for the answers!

Reply to
rai

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.