Getting hold of IOS upgrades

Hi,

I've bought my Cisco lab second hand & would like to upgrade the IOS software, unfortunately I can't upgrade my Cisco account to entitle me to download IOS as I don't fulfill their criteria. What options are open to me?

TIA, Jase

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Pretty sure you are out of luck unless you bought a piece of equipment with an IOS level that you want. Going strictly by Cisco's rules, you would need to buy licenses for the software revs you want. Else you will have to rely on other questionable options.

Reply to
Trendkill

You have one option and it's called ioshunter... try to googlearound

Reply to
Gadafi

The other option is to be part of a Cisco Connection Online (CCO) account. A regular Cisco website login can be associated with an account which will provide access to the software downloads. I am guessing that you do not have a login or work in a department that deals with Cisco enough to constitue logins such as this. You may consider contacting Cisco directly or using the Cisco website to locate local area Cisco partner or Cisco gold partner companies to contact about getting a software image.

It is common for IOS images on devices to be upgraded to higher version levels without a cost. It is when you change the IOS image features that a cost is involved. If you have a Cisco 1700 series device with an IP BASE image of (for example) 12.0.3 or something like that, you can upgrade to IP BASE 12.3.24. You cannot upgrade from an IP BASE image of any version to an ENTERPRISE version without purchasing a software license. Upgrades within the feature set are permitted.

I also heard from a Cisco sales representative that upgrading an image from one feature set to a strong encryption feature set is permitted within any country in which Cisco allows strong encryption to be distributed. They mentioned that products commonly come off of the manufacturing line with simple encryption and that strong encryption is added by the customer, where permitted, in order for Cisco to simplify production.

Reply to
Scott Perry

"Scott Perry" ha scritto nel messaggio news:476694b6$0$58019$ snipped-for-privacy@news.twtelecom.net...

Hello.

I have bought used routers with a lot of different IOS inside. With wich title I can contact cisco and ask to download the updated version of them? Example: I bought an used 1721 with an ADVIPSERVICES release, I can ask for the latest one?

I have not understood.

Reply to
E. S.

The repsonder was incorrect.

Certain security updates are available for free when you contact TAC, but in general, in order to get the latest one, you will need a maintenance contract on that device in order to download and use it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

He bought the routers USED. Unless he relicensed them he is not entitled to anything from Cisco including security updates.

Reply to
Brian V

IOSHunter

Search for and download some IOSs. If you are smart emough to figure out the ftp site that it gets them from, get any IOS you want..

Reply to
Anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.