Equipment & Study Materials Needed?

I've been out of action for a few years and I'm trying to get up to date on certifications. I'm an MCSE on the 4.0 track but I'm starting back with the CCNA exam. I have all of the router cables I bought a few years ago for the ungodly price of $400 -- enough to wire three routers together via WICs. I now see that these cables auction for next to nothing on eBay. Still, I'm glad I have them. I just need the routers and the WICs.

I've noticed on eBay a big change from a few years ago. Folks are selling the routers without the power supplies. Did Cisco stop bundling them together with the routers?

As an IT manager a while back, I bought routers off of eBay, all 1601 Ethernets, and they came with WIC's, power supply, and the OS. Subsequently I discovered that Cisco requires you to wipe the OS from the router before you can resell them. I don't know if this requirement is being followed by auctioneers on eBay. Does anyone know? Yes, I don't care what Cisco says, I want the OS.

I see the Lammle text is up to its fifth edition now, and hasn't been updated in over a year. This was the preferred text. Is that still the case? Are the 1601R's still the way to go for CCNA study? And do I recall correctly that the R is for Ethernet?

Does anyone have a complete list of what is needed to get going and the best place to get the stuff. As I said, I already have those cables.

Thank you!

Reply to
A Sharp
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate the Cisco CCNA Online Support web page:

formatting link
as well as the Cisco CCNA Certification web page:

formatting link
Also useful may be the Cisco Power Supply Headquarters web page:

formatting link
eBay Cisco Guide:

formatting link
and finally Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cool, you're a spammer. Great. Thanks.

Reply to
A Sharp

As a possible alternative to purchasing several peices of equipment off ebay, you might want to try the "Cisco CCNA Network Simulator" Software from Boson/Cisco press. It allows you to simulate many different peices of equipment, configure them and simulate a network. There are also many very structured labs and sample chapters pertaining to the labs. I have both hardware and this simulator, and honestly I use the software more because it is faster to setup, and I like the structured labs. I will say that the devices do not support every command that the hardware equivilent might, but they support everything necessary for the CCNA exam. For more information on this option see:

formatting link
I have the Sybex book by Lammle. It is a very good book. Much easier to follow than some of the cisco press material. I have always had luck with Sybex texts. However the Cisco books are quite good as well.

Hope this Helps!

Dan Parr

Reply to
Dan Parr

LOL. Seeing as how you don't like BradReese's advertising, I was about to say I could provide you with this stuff if you know what you're looking for.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions.

Cisco never stopped selling routers without power supplies. There should _always_ be a power supply with the router. If it does not come with one, you should get your money back, or they should provide you with one. Many people strip the power supply because you can sell it seperately to make a few extra bucks.

Cisco does require that you re-license your IOS if you buy a USED router from elsewhere, but I do not think anyone actually does this? I may be mistaken though :D. Most, if not all, vendors should be able to provide you with the router with the IOS still loaded on there, with the disclaimer that you would need to re-license the IOS.

The Lammle text is _still_ THE text to use for the CCNA. Best book out there for it imho. I believe ALL of the 1601's are "R" version. I have never seen a non-R 1601, and yes, they all come with a single ethernet port and support WIC-1T, WIC-1B-S/T, WIC-1B-U, WIC-1DSU-56k4, WIC-1DSU-T1

As for exactly what routers and WICs you need, I am not so sure myself. Someone else should be able to help you with that, but I think the 1601's would be fine.

HTH.

Rick Truong TruTech Systems AIM: ricktrutek E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net

Reply to
rick

I've got it all. I've been out of action for so long, I had forgotten. But after having spent an afternoon with the old books memories came back and I remembered all of the equipment I needed. It's amazing how much prices have dropped for Cisco products. More interesting is that the local book stores no longer carry Cisco titles.

The spammer guy: I guess I shouldn't have said anything. But it is what it is.

On eBay the average for a 1600 series power supply is $25 plus $7 shipping for UPS ground. Almost every seller sells without the power supply. I was able to buy three routers that did have them, however. People need to get wise to this scam and just say no.

Thankfully I only need one good IOS that I can transfer to other machines. This is for training only. If I put these in production I'd go with the SmartNet stuff again. If Cisco still has a problem with this, shame on them. There's a reason their stock is tanking. Maybe they should think about how they market things and get rid of onerous licensing agreements.

I got all of this stuff straight. I still have the V.35 cables and a WIC-1T. It's the middle router that needs two interfaces. As for the CCNA texts, I had to buy off of Amazon. No one in town sells Cisco certification books anymore. Kinda makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but Orlando has been a lousy market for IT people for a long time now. I'll probably have to leave Mickey Mouse.

Thank you for your reply.

Reply to
A Sharp

Yea, prices on Cisco gear have plummeted. It's actually mainly because there is so much counterfeit goods out there, especially on ebay, and they drive prices down, and the end users do not know that they are buying counterfeit stuff.

I think you got very lucky to find them on ebay with the power supplies. I've seen quite a few auctions that have only the router, and people actually buy them, and there's usually no warranty either! lol. oh well, ebay has become the place to go for anything and everything, including all of that counterfeit, puts the rest of us resellers out of business haha.

But yea, as long as you're only using the IOS at home, i dont think any cisco guys will come knocking on your door :D

Cisco certification is still one of the most highly regarded certs, so im sure youre doing the right thing by getting your ccna, and maybe ccie later on ;)

good luck on your studies!

Rick Tru>> LOL. Seeing as how you don't like BradReese's advertising, I was

Reply to
rick

I think I probably found the only three 1601's with power supplies that were listed. I got one of them new. I picked sellers with very high rankings, so hopefully nothing counterfeit comes my way.

I'm forging onward. Thank you!

Reply to
A Sharp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.