EOL Switches

Hello,

Are Cisco really EOLing all these switches:

formatting link
If they are, is it fair to assume product knowledge on these will not be required on Certification tests?

Rgds

Alex

Reply to
alex_edwards2000
Loading thread data ...

A lot of stuff on that list has been history for a while.

The only place you will find product specific knowledge is in the design stream exams and some of the specialization exams. Don't spend too much time worrying about how much memory, ports or whatever have you on each model. (The exception is to know that Cat2950 series switches don't have an AUX port.)

The standards and the networking principals that make up the bulk of the exams are independant of any particular model.

However, the IOS software commands DO change slightly from version to version. However, any router that runs 12.2 or later is fine for CCNA and CCNP level exams, and this includes the 1600, 1700 and 2500 routers. Switches are more specific, with 2950 (SI) for CCNA, and

2950-EI with some knowledge of 3550 for CCNP and 3550-EI for CCIE. Cat1900s are now nothing more than landfill, and even the 2900XL will be of limited use.
Reply to
yamahasw40

Thanks for the response. It really was very useful. I'm preparing for my CCNP Recert at the moment. When I took Switching 3 years ago I recall the test had some product knowledge specific stuff but it sounds like the emphasis has changed.

As an aside, were there any technical reas> A lot of stuff on that list has been history for a while.

Reply to
alex_edwards2000

The EOL statement you refer to doesn't refer to a single event. Some of those products have just died, some died a while ago.

The most obvious technical reason for getting rid of old routers is that nobody buys 10BaseT any more, 100Mbps is standard, and many people want Gig. Also ISDN died in favour of ADSL and SDSL.

CPU get faster and cheaper, memory gets bigger and cheaper, technologies change (especially with switches). Its like any technology.

Reply to
yamahasw40

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.