EIGRP Network statement

Following along in the Boson SIM and I have a question about entering network commands for EIGRP. It states for subnet 160.10.1.0 /24 the correct commands would be...

Router1(config)# router eigrp 100 Router1(config-router)# network 160.10.0.0

But since EIGRP is classless shouldn't it include the subnet portion and be...

Router1(config)# router eigrp 100 Router1(config-router)# network 160.10.1.0

If not how does it know what the subnet's are?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Pope
Loading thread data ...

If memory serves me I think you need a wildcard instead of subnet mask, or maybe that is just ospf

Sorry....its getting late S.c.

Reply to
sean courtney

It is only classless if you tell it to be. The default mask (or wildcard) will be assumed if you do not provide one. In your case 160.10/16 is assumed and it will include all subnets within. You could have entered 'network 160.10.1.0 0.0.0.255' to accomplish what you are asking. BTW - make sure you do a no auto-summary.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

The network statement determines which interfaces of the router are participating in the eigrp process. The subnet masks information come from the interfaces. EIGRP will automatically summarize at the classful boundary unless you disable it with "no auto-summary".

Doan

Reply to
Doan

Riddle me this...what exactly does the "network ..." statement mean in EIGRP and OSPF configuration?

It has nothing whatever to do with "advertise this network." In EIGRP, OSPF, and RIPV2, it just tells the router to run the routing protocol on whatever interface matches the network command. Later IOSes allowed you to specify the wildcard (or the mask, either works) in EIGRP so you can can fine tune on what interfaces you to run EIGRP. OSPF has always has the wildcard support.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

auto summary will use a classful boundary. To get more specific use ip summary-address on the interface.

Router1(config)#router eigrp 100

Router1(config-router)#no auto-summary

Router1(config-router)#exit

Router1(config)#interface serial 0/0

Router1(config-if)#ip summary-address eigrp 100 160.10.1.0

Reply to
Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.