dual router back to back serial connection (2501 <-> 2620)

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to run a back to back serial connection between a 2501 and 2620?

If so, what cabling would I require?

If not, is there an alternative configuration for the topology below, or should I pickup another 2620?

Purpose: simulate a WAN connection between the two routers.

Reason: one router would be dhcp client for cable modem, WAN serial to second router WAN serial, which acts as gateway for LAN.

Reply to
zelator418
Loading thread data ...

What serial module does the 2620 have ?

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

I am certain the 2620 serial is WIC-1T, the 2501 has DB60 sync.

Joe Bfstplk wrote:

Reply to
zelator418

Many Wic-1T have DB60 plugs. If you have this, any of the DB60 to DB60 cables sold on Ebay ahould work.

If you have a WIC-1T with a Smart Serial connector, DB60 to Smart Serial cables are also available on Ebay. There are two different types. The DCE is the DB60 plug on one, the Smart Serial is the DCE on the other.

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

All WIC-1T have the DB60's, WIC-2T are the smart serials.

Reply to
Brian V

I thought so too. All of the WIC-1T I have seen were DB-60 until yesterday, when I saw this on Ebay: Cisco WIC-1T w/ Smart Serial Connector like WIC-2T New Item number: 250032755842

Check it out. It looks genuine. If your monitor is bright enough, you can make out the silk screen " WIC-1T ". If it is not genuine, what is it ?

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

I did a little research on these. Yes, there definitely are WIC-1T with Smart Socket interfaces. I have seen a couple on Ebay. Both were shipped in uBR914 cable modem routers. This router, I was told, was a totally non-functioning piece of junk. The only mention of it at the Cisco web site is the EOL and recall notice. So I guess this is why there are not a lot of these budget versions of the WIC-2T around.

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

very bizzare! The 914 was EOL/EOS in 2001. Smart serials weren't even out then. Can't find any mention of Cisco's site regarding anything with a 1 port smart connector! Collectors item? LOL

Reply to
Brian V

You can't find anything on Cisco other than the recall. The board is currently on sale, as is the router. Comment on the pictures.

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

When did Smart Serial begin ? I am not sure, but here is a 2600 data sheet from 1998. It mentions the WIC-2T.

formatting link

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.