Difrence between a bridge and a switch

Hi Guys I have a read alot about the differnces between a bridge and a switch and now I am getting confused. Please help Thanx Shaun

Reply to
oneders
Loading thread data ...

In function they are both the same; in implementation a bridge functions at a software level, where the switch functions at a hardware level (i.e. a bridge runs some software to gain it's function, but a switch's function is in hardware (using ASIC's)).

The end result is that a switch is many times faster at forwarding frames than a bridge.

BL

Reply to
Buzz Lightbeer

In article , Buzz Lightbeer writes

Would it also be true to say that in general terms:

a bridge has few ports (maybe two) a switch has multiple ports (maybe 16 upwards)

Reply to
Andrew W Young

a multiport bridge, yes.

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

i agree w/ everything said so far, but would like to add: a bridge is also capable of connecting two different media types, for example, token ring and ethernet, or wireless and ethernet etc etc. not that a switch can't do this, but even when a switch implemements this, it's a bridging function and not a switching function.

Reply to
john smith

Thanx for all the replies. really appreciate it Shaun

Reply to
oneders

No, you could (past tense used as no-one really buys bridges these days), get 16+ port bridges.

BL

Reply to
Buzz Lightbeer

switch is really a marketting term that came later, which this thread defined well. On a cisco exam, pretend to take the term seriously.

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.