Daylight Savings Issues

Surprised nobody's made mention of this before, but Congress is about to change the dates for daylight savings time. I don't seem to recall any detailed rules for automatically changing the time in IOS other than "clock summer-time XXX recurring", so one would presume that the rules for picking the right sunday morning are hardcoded into the firmware. That means that either Cisco has to produce a new release to change the timezone rules for every single product, and we all have to install it, OR we have to manually configure the new change date into every device's config twice a year. Looks like a big waste of time to me.

Reply to
Mike Dorn
Loading thread data ...

Mike Dorn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

As you imagine this issue will also affect pretty much every computer and many, many more things and places. It has a very broad scope. You are right about need for patching and distributing a lot of code. I think that most admins will be using UTC which is good practice by itself anyway. Call me lazy but I always try to avoid setting any sesonal changes and I stick to universal time. This way your logs timestamps are consistent. Good for iron and really not that inconvienient for humans. At least I got used to it. IMHO this is minor issue which do not warrant upgrade of IOS even if available from Cisco, especially when you have good alternative.

Reply to
name

Why is the time on a router critical anyway? So far, I've not seen anything that would suggest that it even matters.

Of course, it's probably somewhat of an issue on PCs and definitely on servers that have events that are triggered at certain times.

But as many patches as Microsoft likes to put out, I'm sure they can slip in a fix for it.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.