Converting Hex to Decimal

formatting link
Brad
formatting link

Reply to
brad
Loading thread data ...

Can anyone reccomend a site that explains how to do this?

Cheers

Reply to
Buttonpresser

Thanks

Had already done a google search using virtually the same words, and had found nothing of any use.

This one seems good though.

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Buttonpresser

Still makes no sense to me.

I can do it by converting into bianry & then to decimal, but surely there's a quicker way?

formatting link
>

Reply to
Buttonpresser

Looking at this from the IP-address point of view (ranging from 0 to 255, or

00000000 to 11111111, or 0 to FF)....

The hex comes in "pairs" (like 9A), so counting the decimal (10-based) from the hex (16-based) can be done as follows:

(16*9)+(1*A)=154

For refreshing of memory, the hex counts as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A (=10), B (=11), C (=12), D (=13), E (=14), F (=15)

To do it again for FF (255) --> (16*15)+(1*15) --> 255

Julle

Reply to
Julle

That is really the easiest way and in my view the quickest - octal direct to decimal used to be ok because multiples of 8 are easier to handle, but working through multiples of 16!

And given Hex was effectively invented to be a shorthand way to accurately represent 8 bit binary values without the transposition errors that could occur when writing out strings of 1s and 0s converting from hex to binary and then binary to decimal really makes the most sense.

But direct hex to decimal conversion is a deprecated excercise anyway, in the CCNA exam for example you won't find a question that requires you to do that - what you really need to know is decimal binary and binary hexadecimal.

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

Thanks Julle

Reply to
Buttonpresser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.