connectivity question - CCNA

dear greater cisco intellect,

i've been doin' some practice exams, and am havin' problems understanding the answer to one of them:

A user on your network indicated that he/she cannot reach a remote site. Following info: is given:

local PC 10.0.4.36/24 default gateway 10.0.4.1 remote server 10.0.6.251/24

from the remote site, the following was done:

ping 127.0.0.1 - unsuccessful ping 10.0.4.36 - unsuccessful ping 10.0.4.1 - unsuccessful ping 10.0.6.251 - unsuccessful

so the what's the problem?

well the answer says that tcp/ip in not installed. and that's the reason. but i'm thinkin' it's because the remote physical layer is at fault. i mean if you try to ping the nic card (127.0.0.1) and are unsuccessful...wouldn't that mean the the nic card is not workin'. and therefore, we have a physical layer problem?

just wonderin' if i could get some insight on this one.

regards,

mgodinez seattle, wa

partly cloudy...

Reply to
michael.godinez
Loading thread data ...

You know that the NIC is installed, because it has an IP address --

10.0.6.251/24

If troubleshooting, and you get no response when Pinging 127.0.0.1, there is a problem with TCP/IP services. 127.0.0.1 is a loopback address and should never go down. The solution would be to reinstall or reinitialize the TCP/IP stack.

It could be possible that the NIC was unintstalled or unseated. There are a number of reasons why the TCP/IP services could stop working, one of which is a bad NIC, but that goes beyond the scope of the question. BTW, there are other network services protocols besides TCP/IP... you could have a IPX/SPX or AppleTalk, or CLNS without TCP/IP. The physical layer could be working fine with another protocol and still not work with TCP/IP.

Reply to
bkvalentine

bkvalent,

thank you so so much for the response. i see the err of my ways now.

good stuff!!!

regards,

mgodinez seattle, wa

cloudy...

Reply to
michael.godinez

127.0.0.1 is logical, doesn't touch the NIC
Reply to
q_q_anonymous

Cisco wants you to test connectivity doing the following four steps:

Ping local loopback address (127.0.0.1) : If failes the TCP/IP stack is a problem. Ping your own local PC address : If failes the NIC is bad or no cable connected to it. Ping your default gateway : If failes the local router is a problem. Ping remote host : If failes you have a "remote" problem.

Reply to
Dude

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.