Confused about STP designated ports

Trying to go through some exercises, and I'm really confused.

Imagine 4 switches arranged in a square. They are connected around the perimeter, but also in an "X" through the center.

SW A ----------SW B | \\ / | | \\ / | | \\ / | | \\ / | | \\ / | | \\ / | | X | | / \\ |

SW C SW D

(I don't want to do any more...you get the idea).

All switches have the same priority, and links are a mixture of

100Mbps and 1 Gbps.

I set this same topology up in Packet Tracer, and arranged the switches so that tha MAC addresses have the same relationships as they do in the exercise. I wanted to see how PT assigns things so I could check my own work.

PT says SW A is the root bridge, SW B has one root, one DP, and one blocked port. SW D has one root and 2 DPs. SW C has one root and 2 blocked ports.

Is there only one solution, or does it depend on the order that you do things? If I start with SW B and start calculating path costs and assigning port designations, I get the same answer as PT. But if I start with, say, SW C I get something different.

BTW...this is page 196 of the LAN Switching and Wireless Study Guide.

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

I decided to make a screen cap, in case someone offers to help.

formatting link

Reply to
Mitch

According to your picture, Switch B should be the root because as you said all the switches have the same priority, and Switch B has the highest MAC address.

Not familiar with the document you are reading, but based on your pic - I think things are wrong ..............

Reply to
John Agosta

Lowest MAC gets elected.

From the Official Cert Guide: "If a tie occurs based on the priority...the switch with the lowest MAC address portion of the bridge is the root."

Reply to
Mitch

You are correct. Lesson learned - never attempt to answer tech posts when you're on valium and vicodin after surgery..... That's a big D'uh on my part ! ;-)

Reply to
John Agosta

Hey, I've been there! Kudos that you're studying anyway.

Hope you're okay and everything went well.

Reply to
Mitch

Only post responses after significant amounts of zinfandel.

Reply to
Peaceful Bill

Don't really care for wine.....

Reply to
John Agosta

Well, I'm not really "studying," just had a brain tart.....

Reply to
John Agosta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.