Configure Cisco 2501 (Newbie Question)

I just purchased a Cisco 2501 from my employer. It was working at work. Here are the steps that I took to try and configure it.

Hooked up the console cable to the console port on the router. Other end of console cable has a serial converter which I plugged into PC. Opened Hypterminal. Created connection to COM1 with the following settings: Baud: 9600, Data Bits: 1, Parity: None, Stop Bit: 2. Nothing comes up on the screen. Turned the router on and off. Still nothing on the screen.

I have verified the serial port works. I even tried COM3 since it was the only other COM listed. I am guessing it is either the cable or the converter. Since this is my first attempt at configuring a router, I don't know what else I should check. I am not trying to do anything other than get into the router to look at the IOS.

Reply to
Jerim
Loading thread data ...

Hi Jerim,

On Hyperterminal, click "Restore Defaults" or change the settings to these:

Bits p/sec 9600 data bits 8 parity none stop bits 1 flow ctrl none

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.