Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- Communication between L2 VLAN and L3 Servers
August 23, 2005, 9:05 am
rate this thread
I have to create multiple VLAN in a Layer 2 Switch and get different IP
subnet's from the DHCP server sitting in my gateway. AM using a L3
Switch as a core switch (where the IP helper is assigned). I have
connected Layer 2 Switch and a Layer 3 switch with Fiber. I have
created untagged VLAN in both the switches. I have created a virtual
Interface for that particular VLAN and have connected the Fiber cable
to that port where I have created a untagged VLAN.
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME IN SOLVING MY PROBLEM OF GETTING DIFFERENT SUBNET
IP'S from DHCP SERVER FOR L2 CLIENTS... IS IT POSSIBLE???
Re: Communication between L2 VLAN and L3 Servers
There are two things I see missing, which you may have done, but I want
to make sure.
1. You need to configure a trunk port between the two switches.
Assuming two 3550 series switches, connected using each others'
GigabitEthernet0/1 interfaces, the config would look like this:
no ip address
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
2. I don't see that you assigned the ports to their respective VLANs.
For example, if you want a host to get an IP address from VLAN 3's IP
space, you need to configure its port for VLAN 3.
interface fastEthernet 0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 3
- » Digital Printing Malaysia | Printing Company Malaysia| Dot2Dot
- — Newest thread in » Cisco Certification
- » Can DSC 5010 trigger a custom relay or close a circuit during an alarm
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » CCTV, Alarms and other Physical Security