Communication between L2 VLAN and L3 Servers

I have to create multiple VLAN in a Layer 2 Switch and get different IP subnet's from the DHCP server sitting in my gateway. AM using a L3 Switch as a core switch (where the IP helper is assigned). I have connected Layer 2 Switch and a Layer 3 switch with Fiber. I have created untagged VLAN in both the switches. I have created a virtual Interface for that particular VLAN and have connected the Fiber cable to that port where I have created a untagged VLAN.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME IN SOLVING MY PROBLEM OF GETTING DIFFERENT SUBNET IP'S from DHCP SERVER FOR L2 CLIENTS... IS IT POSSIBLE???

Regds Rajesh

Reply to
rajeshiyengar
Loading thread data ...

There are two things I see missing, which you may have done, but I want to make sure.

1. You need to configure a trunk port between the two switches. Assuming two 3550 series switches, connected using each others' GigabitEthernet0/1 interfaces, the config would look like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1 no ip address switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk

1. I don't see that you assigned the ports to their respective VLANs. For example, if you want a host to get an IP address from VLAN 3's IP space, you need to configure its port for VLAN 3.

interface fastEthernet 0/1 switchport mode access switchport access vlan 3

HTH

Robert

Reply to
robert.edmeister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.