CNNA Cert Question

I currently just have my A+ Cert and would like to to achieve my CNNA Cert. My question is where is a good place to start and what materials would help me the most to prepare for the tests??

Thanks In Advance

Reply to
NightRogue
Loading thread data ...

That is such a broad question, I wouldn't know where to begin. You might want to take a look here first.

formatting link

Reply to
Nerf

Check Cisco's site and see if there's a place in your area teaching the CCNA Exploration courses. I'm really learning alot.

Reply to
Mitch

Check your local community college. Many have coursework that covers the material in a CCNA exam.

Reply to
Peaceful Bill

I appreciate all the input. I more or less will have to learn it on my own. I drive a truck right now so I really don't have the time to dedicate to go to a school even if there was one around here. I was wondering if the Sybex books would be a good way to learn and be able to give me enough info to be able to pass the tests ?? I do alot of reading on the road as it is anyway..

Reply to
NightRogue

Start with the "CCNA for Dummies" book to see how much you can pick up. Then get into the Cisco Learning Center to figure out what you need next. Get on eBay and pick up a couple of 3640 routers, each with an ethernet (or fast ethernet) interface, a WIC-1T serial interface and a back-to-back serial cable for the WIC-1Ts. Might need a couple of cheapo 10/100 switches to take the question of ethernet crossover cables out of the set-up. Use your PC with some terminal emulation as a console.

Its not difficult to work with Cisco routers. I also suggest joining the tek-tips.com Cisco Certification forum. Lots of help from experts on getting the set-up correct and answering questions when you just get stuck.

Reply to
Peaceful Bill

ALSO (and this is more important than just a certification), you really need to KNOW the material, not just pass the exam(s) for the certification. The piece of paper will open the door, but the technical interview will make or break your chances. And don't forget that typically the first 90 days are "probation" and if you don't know the "how's" and/or can't do the problem solving (because you memorized the answers), your dead. I've heard too many instructors say the same thing.

Reply to
Peaceful Bill

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I want to actually learn it not just memorize the material. I would like to be able to be confident and comfortable using what I learn.

Again Thank you

Reply to
NightRogue

I've heard that as well. And yet, I'm the ONLY one in my class who learned to subnet without a subnet calculator.

Reply to
Mitch

I take it that the the 640-822 test is just the ICND1which equals CCENT? And The 640-816 test Is the complete test for the CCNA Cert?

Reply to
NightRogue

816 is ICND2. 640-802 is the full CCNA exam.

When you take a course with a Cisco Academy, you get access to the web-based curriculum that's actually very good. Along with the study guides / workbooks and Packet Tracer activities, you can really learn a lot.

I say this because it is possible to "find" this web-based curriculum in an offline format that you can use at your own pace.

It's called "CCNA Exploration," and there are 4 modules. I have them on my thumb drive, in fact.

I'm taking the third module now, but I'll probably have to quit the classes to take a job out of state. So I plan to finish on my own and take the CCNA in the Spring.

Reply to
Mitch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.