Cisco Aironet 1100 configuration

Hi, forgive my lack of knowledge on wireless

Looking for some basic advice on how to setup 3 Aironet 1100 AP's for 40 laptops, will these load balance themselves if I configure them with all the same details apart from the static ip addresses?

Reply to
Barry
Loading thread data ...

The clients should connect to the access point that they get the strongest signal from. I'm not sure about roaming off the top of my head. You will want to make sure that they are on different channels, but still have the same SSID.

Reply to
Oliver Garraux

Clients control which access point they connect to via the received signal strentgh. There are a couple protocols that can be used with the lightweight AP's that will help but with a standalone it is up to the client. Also, if you have more tha 15 clients connected to any one access point you can expect severe performance degredation. You can often set your clients to prefer a certain AP via its MAC address. This can greatly help you balance the load. If that is not available you will have to play with the output power settings on the dot11radio interface.

Sometimes you can also set your clients to only talk on one channel. If so you can put the three AP's on channel's 1,6 and 11 and divide your workstations up accordingly.

Reply to
Sean

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.