Cisco 2505 configuration questions

Hi all,

I just bought a 2505 on eBay and I'm stranded even trying to connect to the router to configure it so I can talk to it.

I connected an RJ-45 cable to the back of the Console port and ran the cable to the back of my PC to COM3 (DB9) and I couldn't connect to the router. What I'm doing wrong?

Is there a way to connect to the router via one of the Ethernet ports (one of the 8 hub ports)?

Is there a default password for this router? If I get to connect to the router--- what should I expect to see and type?

I'm soooooo new on this that any help would be very apprecaited.

Someone said that I should go to the Cisco site to download the manual, however the manual is no longer available.

Thank you all,

Praxi

Reply to
praxitek
Loading thread data ...

It may be the cable.. I know on older units the cable was not wired as a patch cord is.. Also check you speed setting.. Go to cisco and do a search and you'll fine the information for your units cable and setting for your com program...

Reply to
gene martinez

Asking the obvious first - the router is powered up? More than once I've tried to open a terminal session without checking that the router actually had power.

The Console to COM cable needs to be a rollover type; i.e., Pin 1 - Pin 8,

2 - 7, 3 - 6, 4 - 5, 5 - 4, 6 - 3, 7 - 2, 8 - 1. These cables are often flat or ribbon in construction to distinguish them from straight-through and cross-over cables. Although I'm thinking that if you can physically connect from the RJ45 Console port on the router to the DB9 COM port on the PC you may already have one of these.

The settings in Hyperterminal or whatever you are using need to be COM3 (in your case), bits per second = 9600, data bits = 8, parity = none, stop bits = 1 and flow control = none.

Yes, but you need to know the IP address of that router ethernet interface.

"Press return to continue." is the usual message displayed if the router has already booted up.

If the previous owner's password is still configured you will then be prompted for it. The password recovery procedure is covered here:

formatting link
And a very nice introduction to the Cisco IOS and router configuration it is too!!

Aurbey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

Thanks all. I was able to get to the Cisco 2505. However this is the boot strap:

=========================================================

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 11.1 may not be correctly under

stood. F3: 3832048+95972+196092 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc. 170 West Tasman Drive San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 11.1(24), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 04-Jan-99 19:00 by richv

Image text-base: 0x030206C0, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2505 (68030) processor (revision K) with 143

Processor board ID 07043624, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface. 8 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 repeater ports. 2 Serial network interfaces. 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Press RETURN to get started!

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state to down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1, changed state to administratively down %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 11.1(24), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 04-Jan-99 19:00 by richv

=======================================================

Here are my questions:

How do I get to the loging screen? What do I need to do to upgrade the firmware to OS 12? Do you guys have any other recomendations before I start playing with this pupy?

Thank you,

Praxi

Reply to
praxitek

Press RETURN to get started! Then write enable and hit enter.

Reply to
Make

Check the following link and all you questions will be answered.

formatting link
Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

You're good to go. Do a wr er if you want to wipe what was there.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jw

JW,

Thank you for your lead. Could you tell me how to wipe out the whole current configuration from the router, so I can start fresh? If you know of any link in the internet that can be of any help I would appreciate it!!!

Thax gang!

Reply to
praxitek

write erase, and it start from zero. rest of the config is default.

Reply to
Make

Have you tried "erase startup-config" and reboot?

Doan

Reply to
Doan

erase startup reload

Doan wrote:

Reply to
Dumb Ass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.