Cisco 2501 to 2 ethernets subnets

I'm trying to setup a router to two ethernet networks and was given a cisco 2501 with 1 aui port and 2 serial. I have a rj45 transciever for the aui port, but how do I go about hooking up the other network?

Thanks,

johnny

Reply to
johnny
Loading thread data ...

Secondary IP address.

Subinterface.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Can't do. Something like a 2514 is what you need as it has 2 Ethernet ports.

Voitec

Reply to
Voitec

Sure you can.

C2509(config)#int e0.3 C2509(config-subif)#ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Huh? 2500's (perhaps only applies to later versions of 2509?) can do subinterfaces? Last time I checked, it was not possible due to hardware limitations. That's what i was told anyway.

I guess it doesn't apply to later versions of 2509 since you just did it.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

My findings are that you can create subinterfaces til the cows come home, you cannot however do anything with them. I could not put an IP address on it as the previous poster implied as it tells me you need to setup trunking. I could find no way to setup trunking on the interface.

I believe the lowest 10base interface that supports trunking was on the 1700 series, even then it was with only 1 specific T train release.

I obviously didn't try every single version of IOS out there. Jonathan, care to share the IOS version that worked for you?

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.