cisco 1604 win2003 server - routing issue

I'm trying to learn for my ccna. Here is what i Have setup cable-modem>>>D-Link-wireless>>>Win2003-wireless-connection

On the Win2003 there is also an Ethernet card which is connected to Cisco 1604R - e0 - is also connected via console port

D-link: 172.1.1.2 255.255.255.128 Win2003- wirelesscard: 172.1.1.6 255.255.255.128 Win2003- ethernetcard: 172.1.1.125 255.255.255.128 Cisco e0: 172.1.1.121 255.255.255.125

The e0 does say up and up - I can ping e0 from win2003.

I'm trying to enable Rip on network 172.1.0.0 but cisco router does not see 172.1.1.6 network. On win2003 machine RIP v1 and 2 is enabled and active but no rip updates are beening sent. When i run a packet sniffer i can see rip packets beening received from cisco 1604 but log shows nothing. RIP is enabled on both interfaces on win2003.

Now i could be doing something wrong or windows will not work with cisco, I just dont know.

Reply to
gujumaxima
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
erict

no I have not tried that but I will, Does it look like I setup everthing right?

Reply to
gujumaxima

If i understand correctly and you have :

cable-modem>>>D-Link-wireless>>>Win2003-wireless-connection | Win2003-wired-connection>>> 1604

This should be working.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
erict

Well the Win2003 only has one connection to the D-link which is a wireless connection.

Then on Win2003 server the ethernet card is connected to e0 on the cisco 1604.

cisco 1604 also has a serial connection from the PC to the console port on the cisco router.

D-link )))))) Windows 2003 --(rj-45-crossover)---e0-cisco-1604

Reply to
gujumaxima

OK, so your Win2K3 server is multi-homed.

Have you installed and configured RRAS and enabled RIP? If you haven't, there is no way for your Cisco router to get information about the wireless side of your network.

If you think about it - what's the point of having the Cisco router stuck 'on the end' of the network? The point of the router is to connect two or more networks together, but in this case it's only connected to one.

What you need is another workstation on the other side of the 1604.

Reply to
Mr Roflcopter

I know there is no use for the cisco to be at the end but i'm only doing this is learn.

And I haven't enabled RRAS but RIP v2 is running on win2003.

I will configure RRAS later today but I don't understand why it needs to be enabled but i'l read up on it.

thanx

Reply to
gujumaxima

RRAS = Routing and Remote Access Services.

If you have RIP2 running on your 2k3 box, then you already have RRAS installed.

Reply to
Mr Roflcopter

One thing to check - Split Horizon setting on the 2003 box.

Reply to
Mr Roflcopter

What I see here is that the two interfaces on the Win2003 machine are in the same subnet. No routing will occur. If no routing is occurring why would the Windows box advertise any routes? It would only listen. Try moving the wireless to a separate netblock.

The reason you would need to routing subsystem up on windows is no packets will cross between the network card without it. So the Windows box won't advertise addresses you can't get to. So you need different subnets on the cards and the routing subsystem correctly configured.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Willson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.