Cisco 1602

I have two Cisco 1602 routers that I am trying to set up as a training lab. I am very new to Cisco equipment so bear with me. I want to connect these two routers using the RJ-45 (RJ-48) serial ports that have CSU/DSU built into them.

I've connected them this way and my serial0's are up on both routers. If I unplug the cable at either router, the serial0's go down. However I cannot make these routers talk to each other and I think it is because I do not have the interfaces set up correctly. In fact I cannot even ping either routers own serial port.

I've read in numerous places about the type of cable to use. One place says a rollover cable will work, others say you need a 1,2 4,5 cable. I made one of these and it didn't work at all, serial ports would not come up. But using the rollover cable I get a carrier light on the routers and port and protocol up on the terminals.....

Anyone know of where I'm going wrong? Any help would be most appreciated....

Thanks,

Reply to
rascal329
Loading thread data ...

Is the clock rate set on the DCE end of the serial connection? Not setting the clock rate can result in what you are seeing. If setting the clock rate on the DCE end does not do the trick for you, post the configs from the routers.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

I always use the T1 crossover, which is the 1,2,4,5 cable you spoke of. Try this link:

formatting link

Reply to
Rusty Shackleford

Thanks for the replys.....

I figured the cable part out. These routers are 56k serial, not T1 which explains why the cable I made didn't work at all. The rollover cable is giving me the carrier light, serial s0 up, protocol up. Now I just need to figure out why it still doesn't work. I'm sure it's in my set up.

How do you tell which router is DCE or DTE? I know the clock rate has to be set on the DCE, which I've done.

Where do I go from here....

Reply to
rascal329

did u set up the clock rate on one of the routers?

routerA#int s0/0 routerA#description this is the DCE side routerA-if#ip address routerA-if#encapsulation ppp routerA-if#clockrate 1544000

routerB#int s0/0 routerB#description this is the DTE side routerB-if#ip address routerB-if#encapsulation ppp

its been a while.

Reply to
June03

OK here we go again. I found out that I needed a cable with a 1-7 and

2-8 pin connection, which is different than a rollover cable. With this cable hooked up I get a green link light on both routers. I did set the clock rate on one of them and did not get any change. I'm pretty convinced that it is a setup problem somewhere. The only symptom I am having now is when I ping one router from the other I get 1 to 3 good packets or even sometimes no good packets. I never see 4 or 5 good packets.
Reply to
rascal329

One more thing... If I do set a clock rate I don't get any good packets at all....

Reply to
rascal329

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.