CCNP study

Hello Folks, I'm working towards my CCNP and was wondering what would be a good setup for practicing, in regards to routers, switches, etc..? Thanks, Blair

Reply to
Bill Piercey
Loading thread data ...

I'm just about to take the CCNA exam, myself. I found this information from Cisco to be helpful.

formatting link
Personally, I plan on buy some/all this stuff used via ebay.

I have also found this link to be helpful.

formatting link
This is NOT an endorsement of his study guides/packages (whatever). I have not tried them. I just found the lab setup sections to be pretty good.

I hope this help - Good luck!

-Mike

Reply to
mike.rains

Reply to
Bill Piercey

How long is a piece of string? What's your budget?

Routers: Anything 2500 or later is fine for BSCI. The bigger, the better. Make sure you get 16MB Flash, 16 DRAM. At least 3, preferably 5

- The last two could be 1601s which are cheap and limited, but work great to give you those extra end hosts. If you have money to burn, look for 2611s or 2621s with WIC-1Ts. XMs are better because they run the latest IOS - important for CCIE labs.

Switches: At least a pair of Cat2950-EIs - # of ports not important. Again, if you are rich, get a pair of Cat3550-EMIs. If you need hands on with the latter you can always rent a rack.

Access-server: Get a 2509 or (pref) a 2511 so you can access all the console ports on your kit without recabling.

FR Switch: 2520 minimum, 2522 much much better.

Other stuff: You may as well get an ISDN sim. You don't really need it, but it helps for BCRAN, and the bottom has dropped out of the market since ISDN was taken out of the CCIE lab exam. Alternatively, if you have a couple of phone lines, pick up a couple of USR Sportsters and do modem-to-modem dial-on-demand.

Finally - HEAPS of DB60 patch leads. I get mine from

formatting link
Yet to have a dud one. He short shipped me once, but resent a replacement without an issue.

Reply to
yamahasw40

Note that the 1900 switches (from the basic CCNA bundle) are useless these days. All CCNx exams are based on the 2950s, and they are different enough to confuse you. AVOID 1900 series switches.

Also the older 5000 and 2800s that run CatOS are also useless.

Reply to
yamahasw40

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.