CCNP or CCSP? Advice needed.

Greetings all:

I just finished my CCNA, and I want to start on the professional level courses.

By far it seems most people go after a CCNP. That all looks fascinating, but I've been considering the CCSP because I have some experience writing security policy and auditing security events. It's also a subject that interests me.

My problem is that I see a TON of books, trial test software, online courses, blogs, all about the courses in the CCNP track, but almost none out there for CCSP.

Are there any CCSP's out there? Does anyone know of good sites, blogs, or other aids that would get me through if I went after this one?

I'd hate to start it and find out I only had a few dry Cisco Press books to work from.

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot
Loading thread data ...
[Default] "Ingot" ha scritto:

I was having the same doubt, but I was adviced to get done CCNP first, then CCSP. So, now I'm preparing myself for CCNP using Authorized Self-Study Guide (Cisco Press), CCNP curicullum, Train Signal Video Mentor and GNS3 for labs.

formatting link

Reply to
rai

----- Original Message ----- From: "rai"

That's very helpful, thank you.

I'm really stuck on this one, it's a puzzle. I may just go look at the two textbooks they use, and make my decision based on which one seems to be the better read.

Can I ask WHY they advised you to get the CCNP first? Is it that the CCSP concepts are easier to understand once you've been through the CCNP certification?

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

The CCNP stands alone in its progression of knowledge and topics. The CCSP builds off of material in the CCNP, just like the CCVP and CCIP.

The CCNP covers switching, routing, remote access, and optimization/support. This is the core set of fundamentals in the world of data networking.

Learning how to secure and network, use VPN, and tune device configuration takes a bit of understanding how a router, switch, or WAN/LAN topology works. The same goes for implementing voice systems in the CCVP track.

For those who would argue otherwise, they can conclude that a person can lock-down a router/switch and configure a VPN without fully knowing how a router or switch works. This may be true if the implementor is working only within very controlled guidelines on a device pre-configured for them.

Learn how the equipment works in the CCNP track then work your way to whichever other certification you choose. This is not Cisco's requirement, it is only a recommendation.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry
[Default] "Ingot" ha scritto:

As Scott told you, if you want to understand advanced security concepts, you have to understand network fundamentals first, which is routing and switching. As I figured, CCNP covers some basic security and VoIP concepts, so I guess it's a good idea to finish CCNP first. Tons of Cisco Press' books from the link I send you can help a bit. Try to find some video mentors (CBT Nuggets and/or Train Signal). I use Train Signal and I find it very useful for self-studying, much better then Cisco Press' CCNP Video Mentor (probably because English language isn't my mother tongue and the Train Signal's instructor speaks slower).

Reply to
rai

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.