CCNA.. tips

Hi

Just failed the CCNA exam:

Planning&Design 82% Implementation&Operation 71% Troubleshooting 88% Technology 64%

Can someone help me explain what kind of questions I probably missed...

Reply to
Hans
Loading thread data ...

Unlucky :(

I was under the impression that Technology, which you scored 64% in, encompassed a lot of the WAN stuff, so were there questions on ISDN, Frame Relay etc that you found difficult?

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

Luckely enough almost no questions about ISDN. I really don't understand that U, S/T etc stuff. I think it's outdated. Here in NL you get an NT-1 installed and you just connect your BRI wic to it.

Anyway.. They had some questions about subnetting, but not too much. Which is a pity since I'm very familair with that :) Think I missed some questions about Frame Relay and VTP

Hans

Reply to
Hans

U, S/T etc stuff.

connect your BRI wic to it.

a pity since I'm very familair with that :)

Reply to
Tim Lewis

Hans,

Join the crowd! The first time I took the CCNA I failed because of the technology section also. I brushed up on Frame Relay, PPP and ISDN and scored a 939 so don't worry.

1. For frame relay know this: -configure the basics of poit to point - configure the basics of multipoint ((************remember to have the command "no ip split horizon" in there if its multipoint. -be familiar with the basics "show frame-relay_______"n commands and how to read the output.

1. For ISDN: -basic commands to get it going:(sw type in global and interface mode, spid1, spid2 etc, dialer map command to map the ip to a phone number) -interpret the show isdn status command. (layer 1, layer 2 and layer 3 output)

2. When you are comfortable with these things, the exam will go much easier for you because you will not keep getting hammered on these once you get a few correct.

1. the 61% you scored means you aren't that far away anyway from doing well on the WAN stuff.

Good luck!!!

Reply to
Shannon

Nice.... I scheduled my next CCNA 31 jul....

Never seen that in the book :-) Will recheck, thanks !

I missed the BECN , FECN and DE which were already 2 questions on the exam. Stupid because it's so easy......

Thanks for your help !

Much appreciated

Hans

Reply to
Hans

Can you expand on these terms, please?

Thanks!

The Dude

Reply to
The Dude

On the CCNA they showed the interface statistics and asked what the BECN and FECN numbers means. Next question was about the DE value

Short for backward explicit congestion notification. A Frame Relay message that notifies the sending device that there is congestion in the network. A BECN bit is sent in the opposite direction in which the frame is traveling, toward its transmission source.

Short for forward explicit congestion notification. A Frame Relay message that notifies the receiving device that there is congestion in the network. A FECN bit is sent in the same direction in which the frame was traveling, toward its destination.

I couldn't find on the internet an explanation of the DE value but what I understood is that packets with the DE bit set to 1 are "less important" and therefore the switch can drop the packet if circuit is congested

Hans

Reply to
Hans

FECN numbers means.

that notifies the sending device that there is congestion in the network.

toward its transmission source.

that notifies the receiving device that there is congestion in the network.

toward its destination.

understood is that packets with the DE bit set to 1 are "less important" and

Reply to
gregg johnstone

FECN numbers means.

that notifies the sending device that there is congestion in the network.

toward its transmission source.

that notifies the receiving device that there is congestion in the network.

toward its destination.

Reply to
gregg johnstone

Hans,

Yeah. DE literally stands for "Discard Eligible"

Regards, Stephen

Reply to
gladiatr72

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.